Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dual sceen high graph build

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I thought this thread looked familiar!

No need to hate yourself (even temporarily), as the 4870 card is the HD 4870. All of the manufacturer's above are different, but are making the same card. Sure it might look a little different, and have a different cooler, but they are all the same. They follow the one reference design to be allowed to call it the 4870.

I find it weird that DX10 isn't on the disc, though. DX10 should automatically be installed with Vista if it detects a DX10-compatible video card.

Either way, you should be able to download it from the Microsoft website.

ASUS are a great card manufacturer, you should have no problems with it. ANY 4870 will support DX10.

Although HIS is one of my personal favourites, they're great! That's just opinion though, and no reason why not to choose (or be happy with) ASUS instead.

And make sure you write to the manager, with a well-worded letter to ensure you get your leather mouse pad. Don't let them get away with it! (If it was part of the deal, that is).

Cheers

Troy

Advertisements

Shuh

Shuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
hehe yeah but naw. directx10 isnt in vista. 9 is.

and i kinda... didnt have the money to buy vista..so i kinda dont have.. a legit one.. so i cant dl from microsoft's website =/

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

and i kinda... didnt have the money to buy vista..so i kinda dont have.. a legit one.. so i cant dl from microsoft's website =/

Then you're a thief, and I won't help you any further.

Purchase a legit version.

Troy

Shuh

Shuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Then you're a thief, and I won't help you any further.

Purchase a legit version.

Troy

Oh I will. But I noticed at the end that Vista was 300$. =/
And i hadnt planned the 200 extra $$ =<

My other OS were and still are legit. Legit OS are.. way better.

i checked sites for canadian dollar its around 210-250$ CAD
on newegg though. its 174$ usd

Edited by Shuh, 20 September 2008 - 11:56 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You can find much cheaper versions than that.

Newegg has Vista Home Basic for $90 - sure it's not "Ultimate", but most people don't need it anyway.

EDIT: $100 here

Edited by troy, 20 September 2008 - 11:58 PM.

Shuh

Shuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

You can find much cheaper versions than that.

Newegg has Vista Home Basic for $90 - sure it's not "Ultimate", but most people don't need it anyway.

whats the main dif between home and ultimate anyways? and i need 64bit cuz i dont wanna be locked at 3.5g of virtual ram =/

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.microsoft...ns/default.aspx

All my links have been to 64-bit.

Edited by troy, 21 September 2008 - 12:01 AM.

Shuh

Shuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
But Home edition still suppost 2 screens on a desktop computer right? i mean... it said for mobile computers that home wouldnt but Im farely sure desktop-computers always can anyways...

I might actually buy XP. Why the downgrade? Because vista isnt supported well enough yet imo.
For exemple, DriverCleaner doesnt work on Vista, etc... just makes repairigng your computer harder...

Edited by Shuh, 21 September 2008 - 11:29 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You don't really need driver cleaner, most of the tools that haven't migrated to Vista are because they are no longer relevant, its got less tools because it doesn't need them. Support wise its as good as XP was older stuff might not work if its not from a big manufacturer or very popular but you aren't likely to use stuff like that on the computer.

Yes it will support two screens that is nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with the drivers.

If you don't play games then why did you spend all that money on a top of the range computer? You don't seem to know enough about computers to be someone who uses one for a living either that would need a powerful machine. If you aren't much of a gamer give linux a try it is free.

Shuh

Shuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
oh i play games. and i photoshop

i dont know much about computers. that is true. learning about computer related stuff is more of a need when i have issues, etc.
i learn little by little. like... when i made this computer topic i didnt knoew anything about computers. so... im learning a bit. little by little. but its really not one of my main interests

Edited by Shuh, 22 September 2008 - 11:07 AM.

Advertisements