Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finally getting my own PC

• Please log in to reply

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

LOL didnt see that..

so why are you buying a case with a PSU inside of it? That's a waste of cash, if you ask me. Check out this case...watch the video at the bottom. I just bought this case, and I can say it is awesome as well... I love the modularity of it.

https://www.tigerdir...sp?Sku=ULT31824

I think I saw it on NewEgg as well...

I just bought that case, its backordered though, im not getting the rest of stull for a wee or 2, i just couldnt pass up that deal

Did you get it from TigerDirect? I just ordered the rest of the stuff for my custom build today and a few of the things say backordered, but it also says they are doing a physical inventory. I just ordered this case last week and they had it, so...I'm sure you'll be fine. Check your order status tomorrow or Sunday, it should be updated....at least we can hope. One major thing for me says backordered....Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit...lol.

ya i got it from tiger direct, i know ill get it for that price cause they already charged it i belive,

Advertisements

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

ya i got it from tiger direct, i know ill get it for that price cause they already charged it i belive,

They aren't gonna change the price on ya. I'm more thinking about the time that it will tack on to a build...waiting for them to get it in stock, if it truely is backordered.

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 22 August 2008 - 05:52 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Some 600W and even up to some of the 1000W power supplies do not offer enough Amps for the mid-to-higher end video cards.

Show me a 1000W PSU that can't run a 9600GT. Heck, find me a 600W PSU that can't run a 9600GT.

As I said before, it may run ok, but it will not run at optimum performance. His 9600 is probably running at the equivalent of something between a 8800 and a 9200.

There is no such thing as a 9200. And if his 9600GT was running better than a 8800GT, this would be a good thing, as the 8800GT outperforms the 9600GT. In any case, an underpowered graphics card would start artifacting, crashing, etc. It wouldn't throttle down its performance.

Anyways, to the original poster, it would be useful if you could just post your build list like everyone else. I don't have any program on my computer which can read the .doc format. And even if I did, it's just kind of a hassle to have to download your build list. It defeats the purpose of a forum. Thanks for understanding. :)

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Some 600W and even up to some of the 1000W power supplies do not offer enough Amps for the mid-to-higher end video cards.

Show me a 1000W PSU that can't run a 9600GT. Heck, find me a 600W PSU that can't run a 9600GT.

As I said before, it may run ok, but it will not run at optimum performance. His 9600 is probably running at the equivalent of something between a 8800 and a 9200.

There is no such thing as a 9200. And if his 9600GT was running better than a 8800GT, this would be a good thing, as the 8800GT outperforms the 9600GT. In any case, an underpowered graphics card would start artifacting, crashing, etc. It wouldn't throttle down its performance.

Anyways, to the original poster, it would be useful if you could just post your build list like everyone else. I don't have any program on my computer which can read the .doc format. And even if I did, it's just kind of a hassle to have to download your build list. It defeats the purpose of a forum. Thanks for understanding. :)

UM, I know there is no such thing as a 9200. I said it would be the equivalent....but ok.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
How can you be equivalent to something that doesn't exist? You said an underpowered 9600GT would be the equivalent of something between the 8800GT and the non-existent 9200. As the 8800GT is a higher-end card than the 9600GT, and the fictional 9200 would presumably be at the very lowest end if it existed, do you see how your statement would make no sense even if the 9200 did exist? It's like saying 7 is less than 5 but greater than 10.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

How can you be equivalent to something that doesn't exist? You said an underpowered 9600GT would be the equivalent of something between the 8800GT and the non-existent 9200. As the 8800GT is a higher-end card than the 9600GT, and the fictional 9200 would presumably be at the very lowest end if it existed, do you see how your statement would make no sense even if the 9200 did exist? It's like saying 7 is less than 5 but greater than 10.

IF there were a 9200, that is what it would be like...kind of like if you blew a rod on a V8, it would drive like a 5 cylinder...even though a 5 cylinder isn't really something that is a standard.

im done...someone has no imagination...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

kind of like if you blew a rod on a V8, it would drive like a 5 cylinder...even though a 5 cylinder isn't really something that is a standard.

You mean something like this? I'd rather it over a V8 anyday... :)

-----------------------------------------------------------

To the OP: Have you ordered everything yet? If not, can you post a complete list here? (i.e. not in an attached document).

Cheers

Troy

fortune82

fortune82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Wow.....thread took off. Well, I've not ordered anything yet, but none of the components have changed except the video card.

Rosewill R114A-BLK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail $44.99

BIOSTAR A770 A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $69.99

hec Orion XPOWER585 585W ATX12V 2.01 Power Supply - Retail $20.99

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5200DOBOX - Retail $77.00

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2K2/2GR - Retail $36.99

EXCELSTOR Jupiter Series ESJ9250S 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail $48.99

SPEC Research SMART-2S Silver/Black PS/2 Wired Standard Multimedia Keyboard With Optical Mouse Mouse Included - Retail $9.99

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-08 - Retail $28.99

PNY VCG96512GXEB GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $99.99

TOTAL: $437.92

A direct link to the whole list is here.

Edited by fortune82, 26 August 2008 - 09:24 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I can't believe we haven't asked this yet (d'oh!), but what are your intended uses for the computer and what is your budget?

fortune82

fortune82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Yeah, :)

Well, I guess it'd be mainly for, well, everything. I surf the web a lot, I play demanding DX9 games (Oblivion, FEAR, Gears of War), I write schoo reports, etc, etc.

It would be for everything and more. And my budget is: As cheap as possible, but I am trying to keep it near $400.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Don't forget you're going to be needing an OS for this install, if you haven't got one already.

I also strongly recommend you upgrade the PSU, I wouldn't trust the one in the case, or the separate one in the order. :)

It's a tough call, because it's so difficult at this end of the budget.

I'll do some research and see what I can find for you.

Troy

fortune82

fortune82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Thanks!! Well, as previously stated, my friend has used the power supply for about a year now, and it powers his AMD Athlon X2 5400+ and his Geforce 9600 with ease. And my pastor is an OEM builder, so I can get a copy of Windows from him for cheap or free.

Edited by fortune82, 27 August 2008 - 08:31 AM.