Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot problems

• Please log in to reply

Jaqckq

Jaqckq

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was given an ancient emachines T1115, running XP, which belonged to my grandmother. At some point the machine started having serious problems, to the extent that I want to just wipe the hard drive and start over.

My problem is that when I put in a CD or Windows 98 boot floppy in the drive, the computer sees these, attempts to read from them, and then continues into XP. If I use BIOS to force the computer to boot from them, I get a message that there is no operating system. These disks work fine on my laptop.

The problems the computer is having with XP keeps me from doing anything once the OS is loaded. It won't get past the splash screen, except to pull up the task manager. Trying to run anything (either .exe or .com) triggers a message that these are not associated with a program. Booting into safe mode with command prompt doesn't help; either I get the same message, or the safe mode itself causes problems.

So I want to wipe the hard drive; anyone have any ideas how I can do it? I've tried both Win 98 startup disk as well as [bleep] Small Linux Startup Disk and [bleep] Small Linux cd, all of which should have booted, and all of which my computer refused to boot.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hang another CD off the machine to see if it'll boot then, most likely an issue with the CD unit. Many times I've seen a system refuse to boot off a CD yet feed it another unit and it'll happily boot off the disk. The floppy drive may also be duff.

Philip Kingsley

Philip Kingsley

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
looks like i have come across this problem in the windows. ur registry has been made to find another file to execute .exe and .com...

http://www.daniweb.c...hread10003.html

Edited by Philip Kingsley, 01 September 2008 - 02:14 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

looks like i have come across this problem in the windows. ur registry has been made to find another file to execute .exe and .com...

With all due respect, this is an issue that occurs before Windows is loaded so I don't see how it can have anything to do with the registry of Windows.