Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Making a Clicking Sound

• Please log in to reply

abc1234

abc1234

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I have a LaCie Porsche Mobile Hard Drive USB 2.0/FireWire. Yesterday I connected it to my laptop in hopes of backing up my documents (after every semester I take my documents and put them on the external hardrive). When I clicked on a file to open it, it worked just fine. When I tried to open another file it took a while and the external HD began to make a clicking sound. I then tried to disconnect the device but the system froze. I then tried to hook it up to my desktop in hopes that I could hurry up and copy the files to my desktop because I did not know what was going on. I then got some sort of write file error and it states my data was lost! Today I tried to hook it up to a different desktop and it still makes the clicking sound which is getting worse and "autoplay" just keeps searching for a folder! Did I lose all of my stuff I save everything onto it - pictures, research, music, reports. I looked through some forums and I found some things like puppy linux but I am not sure if I can do it if my computer cannot recognize it. :'(

Edited by abc1234, 23 August 2008 - 02:51 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Very possible that the drive is hatched and took your data with it... you could try recovery software such as getdataback by runtime systems but short of that you may be out of luck unless you can afford hundreds or thousands of dollars to have the pros do it...

abc1234

abc1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Very possible that the drive is hatched and took your data with it... you could try recovery software such as getdataback by runtime systems but short of that you may be out of luck unless you can afford hundreds or thousands of dollars to have the pros do it...

Do you know how I can get access to that program? In addition do you know if the program will run with the external hard drive, my computer recognizes it but I cannot open the folders it just freezes up. Do you know anyone who can retrieve my data for a reasonable price or should I just take this as a lesson learned:(

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
getdataback is by runtime systems if you google them you should be able to get the program... you can try it for free to see if it will recover stuff.... I don't know for sure if there is a seperate version for external drives or not you would have to check their site... you could also google data recovery and see what you come up with.... as far as the pros i believe the one we used in the past was on-track but it is expensive ( I think the friend of mine who used it spent $1000 to recover the pictures of his sons birth.... and other pics i'm sure.... again google is your friend here...

abc1234

abc1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it:)

Edited by abc1234, 09 September 2008 - 10:10 PM.