Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple duplicate windows opening.

• Please log in to reply

TrailBate

TrailBate

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello, I curently have an open topic in the HJT malware section for my pc, but have also been experiencing a problem with my wife's laptop. It runs on vista and for the most part seems to operate normally. But one proble is fairly persistant, yet will only happen about once a day. When attempting to close out a window in IE it opens multiple (10 and sometimes 20) DUPLICATE windows of the window that was being closed down. I am unsure if this is where I should post this issue and I am unsure if maybe her laptop was infected because it is connected to the internet via a wireless router with a modem that is connected to my pc (the pc that I am having malware problems with). Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This could be a problem with the synaptics touchpad software. First i would try slowing the reaction time down in the mouse properties. If that does not work you might try downloading the latest touchpad drivers( usually with the system drivers) from the makers website.

Personally i hate the touchpads and always switch to using the microsoft USB mini-Optical mouses.

SRX660

TrailBate

TrailBate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanx much!!! I will try the usb mouse and see if it curtails, then try the drivers.... I'll update in a couple days to see how it works out.

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Try using the keyboard to shut it down.

That should indicate if there is a touchpad problem.

hold ALT and press F4

Each press of F4 while holding ALT will step back one process until it offers a machine shutdown

Enjoy!

Baudy! :)

TrailBate

TrailBate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, I'll have to try the F4, but not certain that will work cause I've updated the driver, changes sensitivity, even add a usb mouse and have been using that but still has happen once yesterday shortly after driver update and mouse change and once again this morning. Any other ideas???

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
create another user account...see if the new account has the same problem

TrailBate

TrailBate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i will try that right now...

oh, and btw, love the auto signature!

TrailBate

TrailBate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, added a new user account and the problem still exists while logged into that account..... am I running out of options? this is a fairly new laptop...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try... sfc /scannow lowdown is here

TrailBate

TrailBate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Here are the results.....

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS .Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.Log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I looked for the log and tried to open it so that I could include it here but it said "Access is Denied".

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
SFC appends its results to a log file named CBS.log, which is located in the \Windows\Logs\CBS folder. Use Notepad to read it (you may need to run Notepad as the Administrator).

To find the errors, go to the end of the file (Ctrl + End) then use ‘Find’ (Ctrl + F) to check for the words 'cannot repair', use search ‘Up’ to search upwards.
Write down the names of the corrupted files and go here http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/8... which shows you how to copy any system files that SFC could not repair.

TrailBate

TrailBate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, I have found the system files that could not be repaired, there were two. But when I clicked on the link you gave it took me to the main page of the forums, not to the tutorial that has the instructions. Do I need to register with the forum to view this tutorial? The end of the link is cut off with "..." and doesn't show the end of the address, if I had that maybe I could open the tutorial page??? Sorry.....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try again...here
nojoy

copy and paste link below

http://www.vistax64....tup-repair.html

Edited by happyrck, 05 September 2008 - 06:46 AM.

TrailBate

TrailBate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, I was able to get to the tutorial, and it scared me a bit. Sorry, I am not even your average "pc fixing" kinda guy, but it was a little intimidating. I didn't really have the time to sit down and focus to get that taken care of (but I will, just had a slightly full weekend). On the flipside, I was wondering if it may not be IE itself that is causeing the problem. Reason I ask is because early this weekend I downloaded a new web prowser to my PC, Google Chrome (not on this laptop that is in question) and found that it was considerably faster than IE. I in turn suggested to my wife that she download it to her lap top (the one in question) to see if it helps out at all. To my surprise, she has not had the problem with the multiple windows opening since. Could it have been an issue with IE?? Do you have any info/feedback on Google Chrome??? Again, I do intend on finishing repairing the system folders, but it almost seems as though I've not necessarily "fixed the problem", but replaced what was having a problem with something that was not. Your oppinion on this is greatly appreciated and thank you so much again for all the help you have been and have offered.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can try to uninstall IE7....it will just roll back to IE 6...if your using IE 6...update to 7..
if that doesn't fix IE then you will have to repair IE thru the xp repair...
I have been using chrome since its rollout and my only beef is theres no way to block flash ad's...I really really really hate them.... and my roboform password manager doesn't work with chrome..other than that I like it...I am a big firefox fan though...been using it forever...

Edited by happyrock, 12 September 2008 - 09:54 AM.