Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot unhide hidden files

• Please log in to reply

Optimus

Optimus

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi All,

I recently noticed that I am not able to display my hidden files and not able to access important files such as Application Data under Documents and Settings.

Whenever I change the setting in Control Panel>Folder Options>View and I select the following:-

Show hidden files, Display the contents of system folders and unselect Hide protected system files

and hit the apply button and close Folder Options, and when I go back in to Folder Options, the changes are not made.

I am also not able to select 'Apply to all folders' as it is disabled.

I'm not sure whether it is a spyware that might have changed the registry or some settings I need to change
or whether my XP is fubar.

I've attached a screen dump of the settings in Folder Options.

Please help me......THanx.

Attached Files

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello Optimus,

Go to the link below and look at #155

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

If that doesn't work try this link.

http://www.techspot....topic65215.html

If you are able to get it working I advise you to read the steps in the malware removal forum to make sure that your system is cleared of any malware problem that you may be having.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

pronco

pronco

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The cleanest way is to try to reset them via the command prompt first. Try this:

Start | Run
type 'cmd' and hit Enter or OK
at the black screen, type

attrib -r -a -s -h c:\whateveryourfoldernameis

and hit Enter. Should work. If not, try running the command prompt as Administrator using Start | Programs | Accessories, rightclick the command prompt icon and choose Open or Run as Administrator, then type in the command as above.

If your folder name contains spaces, then you will have to include the entire path in quotes. For example:

attrib -r -a -s -h "C:\My personal folder"

If you are still having problems, e.g. you get a 'cannot reset system files' error or the like, then boot into Safe Mode and do it from there, preferably logging in under the Administrator account.

-Paul Ronco, Computer Technician
Disclaimer: All information provided by me is provided "as is." Use at your own risk.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).