Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer (windows and internet) gone weird

• Please log in to reply

da_westy

da_westy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

For a long time now the computer at work (a video store) has had a problem with windows explorer and internet explorer (5).
The Buttons along the top of the screen (ie back, refresh, cut, copy etc) are missing their titles (although the icon is still there). When you hover over the back or forward button, that yellow explanation thing appears, but instead of saying 'back' or 'go back one page', it says '|back|Forward|stop|refresh|home|search|favorites|print|size|edit|tools|media' etc etc etc, naming all the names of the buttons in internet explorer.
Since this I have tried everything under the sun to install internet explorer 6 thinking it might somehow rectify the situation (in retrospect i see that this may not have done anything as it is also windows explorer that is affected). I eventually used a third party total-internet-explorer-removal thing. Now I dont have internet explorer at all (using mozilla :tazz: ), and I still cant install internet explorer... (after 'installing' ie 6 it says 'not all components were installed, please restart installation' or something, but it just does it again when i retry it.

I'm guessing reinstalling windows 98 would fix it but its a bit difficult to do...

Any suggestions???

Advertisements