Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HIDING HTML source code?

• Please log in to reply

Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi guys.

i would like to know how to hide my html source code from bieng veiwed or stolen and copied?

What do i need to do?

where can i get it?

Please help! Thank you very much!

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
when using javascript or php, the actual code is hidden. the resulting html code is still visible, however.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Here's the deal

Check out online for right click disabling. This might take care of it. By the way, doing code in javascript, doesn't hide it. But you can use javascript to disable viewing code. Check it out by doing a google search.

David

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
to 'hide' javascript in an external file(called abc.js for this example)

<script language="javascript1.3" src="abc.js"></script>

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Thanks bdlt,

I didn't really know how to do it but by disabling the right click. They could still probilly access it in IE in the toolbar. Thanks

David

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
I dont think its possible to "hide" your html code. Everypage gets loaded onto your computer. The internet browser translates the web page code from the server and displays it as you see it. You could always put a copyrighted comment in the code.

Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
but many are not following the copyrighted one.

alice_x

alice_x

• Pip
  • 1 posts
the browser should receive a proper html source to display anyway. you cannot hide the source. disabling "view source" with javascript will not work either.
try this simple application: ViewHTML.com, type in a url and it will show the source together with the http response headers.

El Barto

El Barto

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
'Ello,

There is no way of truely hiding HTML code because when some one visits your web site the browser downloads the page onto their computer anyway which they can then use to look at it, or they can always just visit your site then go File > Save As then open the .html file in notepad or some thing of the sort.

The closest way I can think of doing this is by encyrpting it using Java and then having it all be decrypted once its been downloaded by the computer as it runs, I am not sure if this would work though, its a bit of an extreme to go to.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
one way to hide your source code is to use a java applet. the source code is not on the server. you can protect decryption techniques, formulas, other proprietary info.

here's the html code which calls the applet(this is the only visible code):

<html>
<p> Applet call from html </p>
<applet code="GTG.class" height=300 width=300 target="_blank">
Java is not running
</applet>
</html>

Advertisements

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
The way to truely hide your HTML.
Switch off your HTTP server, your HTML will be well-hidden and no-one will be able to copy it.
Downside of publishing documents is that the world can see them. There are many good apples in the world, but there are also bad apples. Until a selective breeding project is started I see no way to get rid of them. ;)

Success :tazz:
Ojo

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Encrypting might be the way to go.

the browser should receive a proper html source to display anyway. you cannot hide the source. disabling "view source" with javascript will not work either.
try this simple application: ViewHTML.com, type in a url and it will show the source together with the http response headers.

I actually gave this a try and my web page is still concealed. Give it a try. Type in my site here and try to view the sourcecode.

I tested this out myself. I even downloaded the HTML file and tried to open it in a HTML editor, but nothing shows up :tazz: The program I recommend using is HTML Cipher. It can disable right click if you wish also. This program has a lot of security features which may interest you. For my purposes, I want to allow the users to right click and copy, but they can't see the source code. You can disable both, so no one can copy the source or the contents, at least not in a simple fashion. I mean they could rewrite the whole web page themselves, but that would be crazy ;)

rahanik

rahanik

• Pip
  • 3 posts
mm, no dice greyknight, downloaded the html trough firefox and i can view it in notepad just fine.

there really is no way to protect your published files, Ojoshiro has it right.
don't be fooled by gimmicks.

[ peace ]

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
You can view the HTML souce code? Did you encrypt it at all? I even used a simple encryption and it can make the source code almost unreadable. If you want, use Total Encryption and the source will be so jarbled up that no human, in his right mind, can decrypt the source from what I read.

You can view the source, but it's the encrypted source. No one knows what it means. I'm using firefox and downloaded one of the webpages I encrypted for my site. Can't see the actual HTML code. I only see the encrypted code.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Encrypting might be the way to go.
I actually gave this a try and my web page is still concealed.  Give it a try.  Type in my site here and try to view the sourcecode.

I tested this out myself.  I even downloaded the HTML file and tried to open it in a HTML editor, but nothing shows up :tazz: 

What part are you trying to hide? Just downloaded into my editor and a lot of your page's code comes up fine. Didn't bother to pick up style sheet, *.js files and other stuff that would make it display better, but I can see the code and have no problem reading it.

BTW, your page is missing the required HTML tags for <body> and <html> in case you wanted to know.

Ron