Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Redirecting virus [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mpestle

mpestle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I found the cookies folders and deleted the contents of each of them. There was one file in mine that I was unable to delete "Index.dat". Not sure why?

The virus scan notification I receive is a pop-up box in the lower right hand corner of the page that says:

CA Virus scan is protecting your PC

6 threats detected and removed

with a check box that says - do not show this notification again.

It appears and fades automatically after a few seconds.

There is no other information provided; nor is there a link of any sort on the notification that will take you to more information.

Anything show up in any of the recent logs I sent?

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
You may leave that index.dat file alone. That file is constantly being used by the Windows system. If you want, run ATF Cleaner again. You should be fine.

You should be able to access the quarantined section in your CA virus scan program to see where the infected file was removed from. Let's try removing Combofix and the system restore points. Go to Start->Run, copy/paste in combofix /u and hit OK to remove it. It will also clear out your system restore points and create a new one.

Check Malwarebytes' for any updates and run a scan again. Post the log here. Then download ComboFix again and double click on it to run the scan. Post the new log here. Let me know if CA still detects any threats.

mpestle

mpestle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I think I found the problem. The Anti-Spyware Professional trial I installed, must have some conflict with my virus scan software. The trial ended a couple of days ago, and I uninstalled the software. Now, no alert pops up.

Do you still think I should proceed with the instructions above? Let me know how you think I should proceed. Our work here may be done.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Proceed. You need to remove ComboFix.

For Malwarebytes' you may run it again if you wish. Otherwise, you are set to go. I will mark this topic as solved if you have no further questions :)

mpestle

mpestle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Combofix has been removed.

Thanks for your help!

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.