Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor and Speakers

• Please log in to reply

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hey I was looking for some advice as my old monitor
http://www.amazon.co...cs&vi=tech-data

seems to have died as it was working one minute then had a blank screen and had a buzzing noise the next. The speakers also apparentely needed to be powered by the monitor so are now useless{power cable goes directly in to monitor] So I am now looking for both a new monitor and speakers so if anyone could lend some advice it would be great.

PS I am now using an ESA Monitor (E17CRT1) is the brand and build any good as I bought it and I have to make a desion on wather or not to return it.

One more thing is it hard to find a monitor with speakers that hang on the sides like my old one.

Advertisements

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Viewsonic is what I've always used.

Hey I was looking for some advice as my old monitor
http://www.amazon.co...cs&vi=tech-data

seems to have died as it was working one minute then had a blank screen and had a buzzing noise the next. The speakers also apparentely needed to be powered by the monitor so are now useless{power cable goes directly in to monitor] So I am now looking for both a new monitor and speakers so if anyone could lend some advice it would be great.

PS I am now using an ESA Monitor (E17CRT1) is the brand and build any good as I bought it and I have to make a desion on wather or not to return it.

One more thing is it hard to find a monitor with speakers that hang on the sides like my old one.

View Post

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
If I may ask is there any way to power my old speakers?
http://h18000.www1.h...a/11065_na.HTML

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
that link on the speakers says they will hook onto HP brand monitors, using provided slots.
these speakers have their own power and signal cables, yes? of not, again you will want to look at an HP brand monitor.
if there is a separate power input jack on the speaker, you could buy a wall wart supply of the right voltage. is the signal cable standard, i.e. mini plug, possibly green in color?

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Not sure on everything you explained but the power can be disconnected on both ends to leave a open slot and right above says 12V DC 1.0A. Also I found this link saying there was an AC Adapter.
http://geek.pricegra...terid=587348/#d

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, so you can power them with a 12V DC, 1amp adaptor. can get that type of thing at radio shack, etc. take the speaker in so you get the right size plug.

there should be another cable that will plug into the sound output of the computer. it will have a small plug on the end that will look like a headphone connector. if so, then you can use these speakers with anything.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Ok so I'll try going out and finding one then also though the microphone connection is not important right.[it comes from one of the speakers and had to be plugged into both the pc and monitor]

Edited by plehsdeen, 03 May 2005 - 01:26 AM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
mic goes thru the speakers? odd...now I want to make sure you have some sort of standard sound card. one that would have the speaker out, and mic in (if you ever want to use that, mostly gamers use mic for in game chat). it may be an onboard sound card, or it may be a PCI card. in either case, there would most likely be three jacks, one of which is green (for speaker out), another of which is red (for mic in).

do the speakers have that cord I described earlier for sound input? I want to make sure they will work for a standard setup before you go out and spend any money on a power adaptor!

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Sorry I think I gave wrong instructions the speaker connection which end is green goes directly into the back of the PC and the power connection goes into the the back of the monitor. The the microphone which in this case is pink went from the back of the monitor into the PC which says microphone of course. I am not sure weather or not the micrphone is important to the speakers though as the new monitor has no connection for the microphone either. Also how much do you think the adapter should cost as I saw one for around $20 for a 12V 1000mA adapter.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, so your speakers will work. just wanted to make sure. the mic wont be needed to make the speakers work, but if you want it for anything, you would plug the mic into the sound card, using the pink jack.
$20 for the power adaptor seems a bit high, but you found the right amperage and voltage. if you have a radio shack, or other electronics type store nearby, check there, they will probably have something. I know radio shack models come with an option to put the correct size plug on, hence my telling you to take the speaker with you, to make sure it fits.
are you still using whatever monitor you had (the replacement)? if so, you could probably rig something up to stick the speakers on the side, perhaps using velcro...

Advertisements

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yeah I did take the monitors along to the show the employees and he presented the 12V 1000mA(I think the exact price was 17.99) adapter and said it came with the little plug and I am pretty sure I need to make it postive{ + } when plugging it in. If i could please ask though what exactly is the mic needed for anyways? Regarding the monitor are these good specifics for a good monitor.

Synchronization
--- Horizontal 30kHz to 72 kHz auto
--- Vertical 50Hz to 160 Hz auto
Video Dot Rate 110 MHz

The monitor I am talking about is still the ESA and one thing I like about it is how there is no glare but I still kind of have this feeling that for 120 I could get something better.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
wall warts are getting expensive I guess...
most likely positive tip. if the speakers have a little diagram by the power jack, it would show a circle (not quite complete), with a dot inside. there would be a line leading from the dot inside to a + or -. if +, then its positive. this is usually the case.

I dont know tons about monitor specs. the vertical refresh and dot matrix are the most important. those specs look OK to me...I usually use viewsonic. the flat screen is cool, and you said you like it, so definitely go that way.
I checked the HP and compaq sites, since the speakers say they can hang on those. the prices include a new set of speakers! so, for about the same money as your current monitor and the wall wart, you could have new of both...
so its your choice. look at those sites, check out the monitors.
or do a search for HP and compaq monitors, you might find something for a lot less, thru amazon, etc.

the mic would only be needed for online chatting of some sort, most commonly for gaming. its really not necessary.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I checked out hp and I found the Compaq FS7600 that comes with a new pair of speakers like you said and I could even pick it up at the same time as returning the ESA [if it comes to that]. I am unsure though as it says 0.25–0.28 mm dot pitch but really doesn't say exactly and I most likely would have to stare at the monitor for long periods of time and using 0.25 .

I just noticed something also the pic here
http://www.shopping....mpaq&catLevel=1
shows speakers hanging from the sides but in this link
http://www.shopping....2#defaultAnchor
It says Speaker hangers No which seems strange.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the dot pitch numbers are good enough, nothing to worry about there. the lower the number, the sharper the image.
that is weird about the hangers. probably worth you calling or emailing them to find out for sure.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Emailed Hp and said it was non hangable later I'll try calling the store.[I'lll post back to see what happens]