Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

on screen volume bars

• Please log in to reply

DanielOz46

DanielOz46

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I ran services.msc and now when I hit my up, down, or mute buttons on my laptop, the vertical bars do not display. Is there a way for me to re-enable this feature. I have a Thinkpad laptop.

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello Daniel0z46,

Did you disable or make any changes to the services? Go back and change the setting.

DanielOz46

DanielOz46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yeah, I chose to minimize the number of services running to speed up boot time. When I tried to return to original settings, it would only let me choose recommended settings. That didn't do it. Also, none of my "restore" points would work. The machine is working fine, I just want the "green volume bars" back.

dan

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Find anything that might say ThinkVantage on it and re-enable that. I'm not sure what the service is - I'll have to look at mine when I get home.

DanielOz46

DanielOz46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I take it you mean under Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Services and Applications, Services...

Only thing I saw there was ThinkPad PM --personal messaging???? That was stopped. No notice of ThinkAdvantage. Where would it be?

dan

DanielOz46

DanielOz46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
By the way, these are the services I am running. I think this link should work.

My Running Services

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Do this: go to Start > Run > msconfig > Services tab and make a list of what is disabled (unchecked) - do the same thing for the Startup tab.

DanielOz46

DanielOz46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK. Ran msconfig. All boxes were checked in both services and startup, however, quite a few of the services, though checked, were STOPPED.

Here's the list of stopped services:
Application Management, ASP.NET, Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Indexing Service, .NET Runtime Optimization, Symantic Lic Net Connect Service, COM + System Application, Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service, Logical Disk Manager, Wired Auto Config, Extensible Authentication Protocol Service, Human Interface Device Access, Health Key and Certificate Management Service, HTTP SSC, IMAPICD Burning COM Service, iPod Service, Net Meeting Remote Desktop Sharing, Distributed Transaction Coordinator, Windows Installer, Net Access Protection Agent, Net Logon, NT LM Security support Provider, Removable Storage, Remote Access auto Conneciton Manager, Remote Desktop Help Session Manager, remote Procedure Call RPC Locator, QoS RSVP, Smart Card, System Update, MSSoftware Shadow Cop Provider, Performance Logs and Alerts, Telnet, Universal Plug and Play Device Host, Uninteruptable Power Supply, Volume Shadow Copy, Portable Media Serial Number Service, Windows Mangement Instrumentation Driver Extensions, WMI Performance Adaptor, Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, Windows Driver Foundation User-mode Driver Framework, Network Provisioning Service.

Are all those supposed to be Stopped?

DanielOz46

DanielOz46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Why is this so difficult?

DanielOz46

DanielOz46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
All right! I finally got it to work. :) I placed a shortcut to TPHKMGR.exe in the All Users, Start Menu, Programs. The on-screen bars came back.

Of course, since I now have all my services, and countless other things running at start-up, my boot time is incredibly long. Any suggestions on how to reduce this amount of time. Obviously, I don't need some of these things running until I use them. What is considered essential? Please don't tell me to run minimal services--that's how I lost my volume bars.