Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Newly Built Comp.

• Please log in to reply

guzman427

guzman427

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

So a few weeks back I built my first computer after saving and saving for months. After completing it everything was working fine until I started to get random freezes and crashes. I have asked many people about what could be wrong and some thought it was the power supply failing so I replaced it with a new one. A buddy of mine is running almost the same specs I am and his comp is running with no problems at all. If anyone could give me some input on what to do it would be greatly appreciated that wat my $1800 didnt go to waste.

Computer Specs
Motherboard: XFX790i ultra
CPU: Intel quad core Q9450
Vidowcard: EVGA 8800gts
Harddrive: Hitachi 500gig
Power Supply: Cosair 750watt
Memory: Corsair DDR3 4gig(total)
DVD Drive: Optiarc DVD drive
Case: Antec 900 series
Heat Sink: Zulman

If you have any other question please send me a message or leave a post.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi guzman, welcome to the forums. :)

Have you tested your memory?

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight. Any errors reported indicate a fail, and thus a faulty module(s).

Cheers

Troy

guzman427

guzman427

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was loking over the manual for my MBO and each memory slot supports up to 1gig of memory but the motherboard itself supports up to 8gigs of memory. Right now im running 2 2gig sticks in slots 0 and 1. I am normally used to run them in slots 0 and 2 but the motherboard says to run them eather in slots 0 and 1 or 2 and 3. For me that doesnt sound normal. Im going to run that memory program tester tonight and see what that comes up with.