Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 4

• Please log in to reply

Melliefluous

Melliefluous

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a gateway m-1625 laptop. I turned it on the other day and got a SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 4 error. Press F1 to continue. When I press F1, i get 2 options: to launch startup repair, or to start windows normally. Windows won't start normally, and when i do the start up repair, i get a blue screen that says Session3_Initialization_Failed. I have an option to press F8 to start in Safe mode, but that doesn't work.
I am not a computer expert, but I do know my way around fixing things. Anyone that has any idea on how to get me back into windows will be a life saver.
Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do not take a Smart Failure lightly. Smart failure is telling you your hard drive is almost dead. You may have to go into the BIOS and set IGNORE ERRORS or something like that. You may be able to disable SMART also. That may buy you enough time to get another drive. You must save any data you need immediately. The drive has already partially failed and very soon may not boot at all.

You could try a linux livecd like Puppy linux to back your data up if you can or you could try moving the hard drive to another pc with an adapter and save data that way.

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
SMART should be taken as a guide. It is not the be-all-and-end-all of the status of a drive. It's perfectly possible to have a drive that flags up as being SMART failure out of the box and it'll last four years. There's no set standard for SMART and what's seen as critical on one drive is normal for another.

That being said, back-ups are always a good idea since mechanical bits like the hard drive do not last forever and your symptoms would suggest an issue with your drive.

StuieFromDonny

StuieFromDonny

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've got a Dell Inspiron 1501...and the other day for no reason my laptop failed to load. It got to the screen where it's black with white writing, and had 4 prompts to load. None of them would work, and i was told i had to install another operating system. Eventually i got hold of another copy of Vista Home Premium (which it had installed before), and when it's been installed...now i get the SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 4: WDC WD1200BEVS-75LATO-(S1), and Press F1 to continue. Also, my Touchpad is suddenly barely working and i've had to install a mouse. Can all these problems be connected...and what do i do?

(Sorry for the lack of general knowledge and terminology but i'm not too clued up on computers and i'm in a bit of a pickle...i hope you can help)

Stuie...

tazzi2010

tazzi2010

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have the same issue, just i have a HP PAVILION dv9700 NOTEBOOK.

-suddenly laptop wouldnt boot up to the desktop, so i figured i'd try to install windows 7, it stopped during installation and had a bunch of errors, i deleted the partition so i could install windows 7. OS originally installed was Vista. should i try using a vista disk instead????

Exact wording of Error:

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 4: SAMSUNG HM250JI-(S1)

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive A failure may be imminent

Press F1 to Continue

-When i press F1 nothing happens.
-I cant boot from CD

I NEED HELP!

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
stuiefromdonny and tazzi2010,

Please make your own topics.

OP, just replace the drive. SMART isn't 100% accurate but it usually is a good indicator of a failing drive.

sanban

sanban

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had SMART failure on Hard Disk 4 in HP pavillion. it asks me to press F1 but nothing happens. HELP!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: sanban

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

isabell

isabell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
sorry to bother you all.

but i also got same problem of smart failure predicted on hard disk. and to press f1 to continue, well it continued but was taking time...

so i got it formatted after taking all my docs out of the hard drive. it took time for formatting also but it was done. then, the restoration of all softwares was carried by vaio care itself.al the updation has been done.

the major trouble i'm feeling is that, how much this hard disk will last? the place from where i bought this lape, told me that it will go for few years more, just have ur back up. in contrast to this sony's customer care are telling to replace the hard disk and my hard disk is of toshiba. what should i do.

please help............

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nobody can predict when a hard drive when completely fail. I myself when I have a problem hard drive I replace it so I do not have to stress over the possibility of it going down during usage. Why take the chance of losing data because you have not had the chance to backup that day?
I suggest replacement now as to waiting.