Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts Every 12 Hours

• Please log in to reply

mocker82

mocker82

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm trying to help out with a friend who runs a small business. He has three computers that seem to restart every 12 hours. Since all three computers are restarting i assume it must be a software problem. I checked Scheduled Tasks but it was empty. Any idea where to begin looking? All i know is that all three computers are running windows xp and are Dell. I can provide further detail if you tell me what you need to know.

Thanks!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If all the computer restart at the same moment then it looks like you have a problem with the electric system of the place, possibly a momentary power cut off or severe voltage drop.

mocker82

mocker82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Would this cause an error to show up in the event log?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure and I wouldn't try it on my computer but I can't think of anything else but the electric system. Actually it's not entirely true. Years ago I ran a company which built and sold computerized controllers for agricultural uses (environment, feed, weight, lighting control etc). Many of the functions where time dependent. We had a bug in one of our software which caused a complete failure of the computers on the moment the clock had to change from 23.59 to 00.00. I never heard about such a case in PCs but then it may have a somewhat similar problem in one of it's programs.

mocker82

mocker82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I forgot to thank you for your quick reply... So thank you!

Usually a restart due to a power failure should result in a screen saying windows closed in a bad way and ask if I wanted to start in safe mode. Its not doing anything like that .

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Not if the computer restarted. Try to press the reset button on your computer (as opposed to hard shut down) and you will see that there is no boot menu showing up. Looks to me like there is a momentary voltage drop that restarts the computers. If you have a UPS try to connect one of the computers to it. If it will keep working after the other computers restarted, then you can be sure that the problem is external to the computers. Whatever the case, I have no other ideas.

mocker82

mocker82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well thank you for the help. I will make sure to post anything that might work.