Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

lz22

lz22

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I reinstalled Windows XP Pro because I was not able to boot it up, that might have been stupid on my part.
I wrote down the CD key I had on a .txt file in a hard drive that's not on the operating system.
I installed with dummy key, assuming I will be able to put my previous working key in after installation.
I tried activating it with previously valid key. It does not accept it. It is the same computer, same machine.

The only difference is that I've installed Windows XP again, I am unable to access some files from my previous User Name in Documents and Settings due to access denied, even though I know the password, but that's not the main issue.

Anyone know any way to fix this? I have in my possession a valid key that I used on this machine to download the new internet explorer and receive regular updates from microsoft.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If a key won't activate over the Internet you can activate it by telephone, in most areas its a free phone number, just call it up and follow the instructions.