Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

check disk freezes at 69%

• Please log in to reply

JS18

JS18

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello i have bought a new laptop with windows vista the problem is when i chkdisk runs at reboot it freezes at stage 5 at 69% the hdd light goes off so i have to press the power button to get out of this and load bak into wiindows. i wanted to know if you could help with this problem becasue chek disk never finished it just freezes at stage 5 i have left it like this over night and it still doesnt move. thanks

on another topic, i have quite good specs on my laptop 1.83ghz 667mhz 2gb ram intel core 2 duo processor. i have windows defender with real time protection and norton 360 i know this hogs my system but i have a paid for a year subscription :) i was wondering do you recoomend any other programs to install which will not affect my windows defedner real time protection or slow my system down anymore or am i good with norton 360 and windows defedner with real time protection which scans for spyware so does nortons. i also run disk cleanup once a week. i am using firefox.i defrag once a month.do u recommned to clean my system resotre points out apart from the last one. and do u recomend any cleaning tools.

if you have listed anytools to my post could you please tell me when to run them i.e once a week once a month twice a week thanks for all ur help

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First, try Booting off the OS cd then run a checkdisk.

Check Disk can also be run using the command line (DOS) prompt.

1. Open the command prompt with administrative privileges by typing cmd in the search box in the Start Menu and right-click cmd.exe in the search results and then select Run as Administrator.
2. Type chkdsk followed by one or a combination of switches listed below in the command prompt.

If you run the check disk (chkdsk) command from the command prompt by typing just chkdsk check disk will run in read only mode. All it does is check for errors. It will not fix any errors it finds unless told to do so. This is done by adding switches when typing chkdsk in the command prompt.

A switch looks something like chkdsk /F. Notice the switch /F after the chkdsk command.

Below is a list of most of the switches used with the check disk command. You can use one or a combination of switches with the check disk command.

D: If you want check disk to scan a drive other than the C: drive, add the drive letter after chkdsk to tell it to scan that drive. If the drive is called X: on your computer it would look like chkdsk X:.

/F: The /F switch is the most common of the chkdsk switches. It tells chkdsk to fix any errors it finds. Chkdsk can’t fix errors on a disk that has open files. If chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Windows Vista boots or dismount the drive choose to check the drive next time Windows Vista boots. Never choose to dismount the drive. That option should only be used by a professional.

/R: The /R switch tells chkdsk to attempt to recover any bad sectors of the hard drive if any are found. A bad sector is a spot on the hard drive that can’t hold saved data anymore.

/I: The /I switch tells chkdsk to perform a less detailed but faster disk check.

/C: The /C switch tells chkdsk to skip the checking of cycles within a folder structure which reduces the scan time. Don’t ask me what this means.

An example of an exhaustive disk check using the command line interface is:

chkdsk D: /F /R

The check disk command shown above will fix any errors it finds and also attempt to recover bad sectors of the D: drive if any are found.

If you continue to get freezing, it would be a good idea to run a diagnostic on the hard drive. Get the diagnostic utility from the drive mftr.'s website. You will create a bootable CD with the file you download. You will need third-party burning software to do this such as Roxio, Nero, or the free DeepBurner.

Boot with the CD you made and do a thorough test of the drive. If it fails any physical tests, the drive is going bad so replace it. It might be a good idea to try backing up as much of the hard drive as possible if you have to find a Vista DVD to reinstall on a new drive. You may not find the exact same drivers on the manufacturers website.

SRX660

JS18

JS18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did not get any OS disc with my laptop

I have tried running chekdisk through CMD but it freezes at stage 5 at 67% usually it gets to 69% then freezes

My HDD is toshiba and they do not do any diagnose utilities and i dont think my HDD will be damaged as this laptop is brand new. However i found that the drive fitness test from hitachi is compatible with all hard drives so i ran that on quick scan and advanced scan i dont think it found any errors as all it said was operation completed succesfuly disposition code: 0x00

any more suggestions

thanks

Edited by JS18, 29 August 2008 - 10:50 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You have never said why you are running chkdsk. Was there a problem that you needed to run it?

If you have run the more complete tests and the drive seems to be ok, then likely chkdsk is getting stuck in memory or it is unable to repair file system data.

Please follow this path:

start:all programs: accessories ; "right click" on command prompt and choose Run As administrator.

From the command line type the following and hit enter:

CODE
fsutil dirty query C:

What we are looking for is a dirty (corrupt) file system. If the output states that the drive is NOT dirty, then you'll want to run memory tests to confirm
that the "Data Stream" isn't getting corrupted in RAM.

In this case Data Stream can be thought of as the reading of File System Information by the chkdsk command.

If the Volume is found to be dirty, you should re-install windows rather than trying to search every file to find the culprit.
If the Volume Dirty bit is NOT Dirty, then you definately want to run the Memory Diagnostics Tool to determine if Memory is Bad.

To run the Memory Diagnostic Tool
start:all programs:Administrative Tools "Right Click" on the Memory Diagnostics Tools and choose "Run as Administrator"

Reboot your computer, and wait for the memory tests to complete.

If you have Bad memory you should contact the manufacturer of the computer to replace the memory if it's in warranty. If it's out of
warranty with Bad ram, then go to a Retail Outlet to get the ram for your computer.

If the hard drive passes the above test's, yet you still can't run chkdsk - I'd have to assume that there's a non-recoverable error in the file system on the hard drive. The definitive test/fix for this is to reformat your computer and reinstall Windows

Using the Toshiba recovery disks it should only take about 30 minutes or so. But it will erase everything on your hard drive and will replace it with the stuff that was there the day the computer left the Toshiba factory. So it's imperative that you backup anything that you can't bear losing BEFORE using the recovery disks.

If you've used the recovery disks and still have the problem, then I'd have to wonder if there's a problem with the hardware (other than the hard drive and it's file system) on the system.

1) Go to Start and type in "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and press Enter. This'll generate a performance report. Look at it to see if there's any errors, warnings, or information of note.
2) Go to Start and type in "perfmon" (without the quotes) and press Enter. In the window that opens, click on the Reliability Monitor in the left hand pane, then look at the right hand pane for errors. In particular, look for errors around the time that you attempted to run chkdsk.
3) Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Under the Windows logs, check the Application and System log for errors. Also check for an item named "wininit" in the Application log around the time that you ran chkdsk - this will be a record of what chkdsk found/did. Let us know what you find.

SRX660

kim.

kim.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
you know how occasionally you search and find *exactly* what you needed? yeah. so i just registered to say thanks. i know this is an old topic (and sorry for bumping if that's frowned on here) but if anyone's interested enough to reply - should chkdsk be run only if i have a reason to think something's wrong? i ran it because (ok, now this seems embarassing) someone on a forum related to my work said that both chkdsk and defrag should be run frequently.
anyway, thank you for all the information and for making me feel that i could reboot in good company without erasing my OS (or something).