Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I buy Windows XP or Vista

• Please log in to reply

KillerShark1978

KillerShark1978

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey everyone, thanks for looking, I have all but completed building my new system spec as follows:

Chenbro Gaming Bomb 2 - Black Aluminum Case
Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 Motherboard
XFX GeForce 7900GTX 512MB PCI-E (Plan at some point to run another one of these cards in SLI)
G.SKILL 4GB 2 x 2GB 240 - Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
800W PSU SILENT
Intel CPU Q6600, 2.4Ghz
Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000RPM SATA-II 16MB
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HDD 1000GB SATA II 32MB

Currently I don’t have an OS yet for the system, and rather than doing my usual trick and use a pirate copy of XP pro I’m going to actually go out and buy an OS for the first time ever.

I’m very much leaning towards buying XP Pro cos its what I’m used to, have always used it since it came out and am very much one of those people in the opinion that Vista is Crap.

However I was thinking because of using a quad core processor plus the PC is mainly going to be used as a media centre hooked up into my home entertainment system, there may be some point I’m missing in using Vista over XP Pro or even XP Media Centre Edition has crossed my mind.

Anyways I have set up this topic to discuss the pros and cons of using each OS in this setup.

This system will mainly be used to store Music and Videos, plus play the occasional games, to give you geeks "hhumm" guys a better Idea of the systems uses, below lists the spec for the entertianent system this PC will be hooked up to.

KEYBOARD
Logitech diNovo Edge

MOUSE
Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Laser 2000 dpi

TV
LG 42" Full HD 1080P Digital LCD TV with XD Engine Full HD image processor 42LF66

AMP
Sony STR-DG520 5.1 Channel HiFi Receiver

Play Station 3
40GB Version

SPEAKERS
Pioneer SV410 Compact 5.1 Complete Speaker Set with Floorstanding Speakers

Attached Thumbnails

• system.JPG

Edited by KillerShark1978, 29 August 2008 - 10:09 AM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Honestly, for multimedia, Vista is awesome. The integrated Media Center works great, and it looks pretty too. If you really wanted to stick with XP, you should go Media Center Edition.

Be sure to check for Vista drivers for your Sony STR-DG520.

KillerShark1978

KillerShark1978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Honestly, for multimedia, Vista is awesome. The integrated Media Center works great, and it looks pretty too. If you really wanted to stick with XP, you should go Media Center Edition.

Be sure to check for Vista drivers for your Sony STR-DG520.

Interesting what you are saying about drivers for the Amp, my plan is to simply use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the graphics card directly to the TV then use a simple Jack port to Phono for the sound through the amp, is there a better way to hook the sound up to the amp that you know of that requires drives?, because I would assume they way I have planned would not use any additional drives

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
After using Vista for a while i have gone back to XP for my MP3 collection. Vista WMP is lousy for any kind of real audio. It doesn't help that a lot of the new MB's use the realtek sound, which is quite lousy to me. I don't appreciate the DMR Microsoft has left us with in Vista so i always install a creative sound card so i can use the excellent player it has. Even then it seems XP will copy CD's much easier than vista. I do not share my files, i dont use bit torrent, I just want to save the CD's i do buy by making copys for myself to play in my cars and home stereo system. So i rip the cd to my HD and make new cd's for that purpose. It seems Vista wants to stop this from happening, or at least make it hard enough that most people quit trying.

Maybe others have no problems, but i certainly do. 13,000 songs and maybe half of them vista wont even let me burn to a CD unless i rerecord the song beforehand. I have no problems burning them in XP. So i am not going to take months just to rerecord the songs with cool edit 2000. So, arrivederchi Vista.

My 2¢
SRX660

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Vista looks cool, but its better to stay with XP until vista is less buggy and more compatible