Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH AFTER WINDOWS UPDATE AUG. 2008

• Please log in to reply

ckieffer

ckieffer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HELP ! PLEASE ! ... I have heard horror stories on this famous BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, but most ppl just buy a new computer .. well i can't afford that so I'm hoping u can help, . On Aug 28th 2008, there was an icon requesting i install new windows updates.l (windows xp) , so like any other time, i did so. but when it was time for it to reboot, like it usually does after such updates, it decided to not allow windows to reboot , but instead gave me a blue screen with the error of c0000218 registry file failure. can not be found , corrupt or missing, help, i never touched registry files, but i did notice when the update was being processed it did back up my registry which i thought was odd, never seen windows do that for an update , but im not very computer literate so i just let it do what it does on its own, . please help, .. i will also know how to fix in laimens terms lol if u know what i mean . :0 ty for your time :0

Advertisements

Jack_Skelington85

Jack_Skelington85

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Basic but.... Have you tried hitting F8 as your computer starts up to get into safe mode, then can you do a restore on either the comp or the registry to sort it out?

I think with some big windows updates, they normally show up in the add remove programs so you can uninstall it from there?? Or am i being a retard, ie windows wont even let you get that far?

Sorry for my lack of knowladge but......!

ckieffer

ckieffer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
LOL yes , windows wont even load in safe mode . :) so sad , but ty for the effort :)

skkwon

skkwon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
bro you are looking at your twin right now
I downloaded windows updates aug 2008
and i got the blue screen of death on my brand new HP laptop
i tried to system restore
I didn't know at the time it was the update so when everything was fine and system restored to a week back, i downloaded the same updates with internet explorer 8 and [bleep] and i got the blue screen immediately after the computer restarted to set the updates into effect

the HP rep said i have to system recover by turning off the computer, turning it on and constantly hitting f11 and doing a system RECOVER

and she said she has no idea what the [bleep] is going on and to not download the updates

skkwon

skkwon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my apologizes
I didn't see that this post was last year
but apparently recently microsoft sent out updates that had bugs in them. everybody basically went back to best buy or wherever they got it depending it get fixed or like me...return it for a mac. you will never experience a problem like this with a mac. nor will you get a virus.