Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN parties.

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
My friends and I often have LAN parties, and we have been using my D-Link DI-614+ router to connect.

This router is only a 4 port router, and we're planning on having 6 at the LAN parties soon, so I want to buy something I can use to connect 6 computers. 8-port, preferably.

We've tried using some 8-port hubs and stuff before, but they've never worked, and we're all rather clueless when it comes to networks.

So I was wondering if something like this or this would work. 'work' in the sense of we plug the computers into it, and have minimal trouble being able to game.

And any relative information about networks would be highly appreciated.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I would just add something like this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833124005, in addition to the router that you already have. I would only recommend a single one of those switches if it was to remain LAN and there will not be any connection to the internet. It is best for security purposes for the router to remain the device in between your network and the internet, plus a small 5 port switch is a bit cheaper.

We've tried using some 8-port hubs and stuff before, but they've never worked, and we're all rather clueless when it comes to networks.

Hubs have no way of controlling the traffic that comes through it. All your computers are allowed to send packets at the same time causing collisions and serious game lag. Also, when a hub has a packet to send one of your machines, it sends the packed to every computer that is connected to it until one computer says "yeah, that ones for me". Hubs are dated equipment and should not be used in modern networking.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Ah. okay. Thanks for the info on the hub.

So basically the switch is just a better, 'smarter' version of a hub that can control packets itself?

And lastly - If I was to get just that 5 port switch, would I be able to plug 4 computers into it, and then connect the switch to the router, and plug an extra 3 computers into the router? Or is that just stupid? :)

Thanks for the reply,
Seltox

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Ah. okay. Thanks for the info on the hub.

So basically the switch is just a better, 'smarter' version of a hub that can control packets itself?

Yes. Simply, the switch is a 'smart' hub.

And lastly - If I was to get just that 5 port switch, would I be able to plug 4 computers into it, and then connect the switch to the router, and plug an extra 3 computers into the router? Or is that just stupid? :)

That's perfectly fine.

:)

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Thanks for all the replies :)

~Seltox

Oh, and in conclusion:
I'll talk to my friends and see if we can all pitch in to get an 8-port Switch, if they won't, i'll just get a 5-port for myself.