Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my HD dead?

• Please log in to reply

santyc

santyc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,

I have had a problem for a while where I get the "blue screen of death" with an error message (can't remember it off hand, something like 0x00000007. A friend directed me to the MS site, where that error message was listed as being to do with kernels, which he said was really bad, and I should format and reinstall windows.

I've now done this, but the error has started coming up again, although not as frequently. He says my HD is probably knackered, and I'll need a new one. Is he right? The HD also gets incredibly noisy from time to time, even if nothing major is running.

The checks he did:
CPU temperature was fine
Antivirus/spyware scan
Checked cables were plugged in
Checked RAM was seated correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The hard drive makers have utilities that test the hard drives are OK. Go to the website of the drive in your computer and download the program. It will tell you if the drive is going bad. Usually a thrashing HD is doing so because it is developing bad sectors.

SRX660

Philip Kingsley

Philip Kingsley

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
type chkdsk c: /f /r.
If this message is displayed

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

then type y and press enter.
restart ur computer. and let the scandisk to run. dont cancel it... if there are any bad sectors then they will fixed.