Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Icons not displayed in System Tray

• Please log in to reply

BPak

BPak

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have a Celeron (old 800 Mhz speed) with Windows XP SP2 running.

Sometimes some programs do not display their Icon in the TaskBar.

However AVAST is ALWAYS displayed.

I found that if I do not LOG ON straight away and wait for a minute to logon then ALL Icons are displayed in the System Tray.

Doing research on internet shows this is a bug of Windows. Caused by Windows doing so many tasks at startup and causing the ICON not to display.

But I wonder WHY does AVAST ALWAYS display no matter how quickly I logon?

Seems to me that there must be a Code Programming excellence done by the programers to ensure their Icon is displayed.

Has anyone coding experience to deal with the Icon being displayed in the TaskBar - guaranteed?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A lot of people pay good money to get rid of things in the System Tray. Specifically things that shouldn't be there such as our old friend WinAntiVirus Pro and all his mates Microsoft AntiVirus, IE AntiVirus and "Give us your money and all your problems will be solved for $29.95"...

Windows has an ability to load files before you even get to the log-in screen and any decent anti-virus package loads itself there preferably before anything else. Avast probably uses this technology and by the time you log in, the icon's already there.

Edited by Neil Jones, 30 August 2008 - 01:42 PM.