Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shut Down / Turn Off Computer options

• Please log in to reply

Woch2331

Woch2331

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I'm having an 'issue' with a newly loaded computer. It shows Start > Shut Down, while my other machines show Start > Turn Off Computer. Both options return a different window to restart or shut down the computer. This is causing another problem when I do reboot. The user log in screen comes up and I have to click OK to continue. I've checke dthe User Account setting and the user name does not require a password. I tried Tweak UI and changed the Autologon options, but that didn't work either. Looks like I have anoterh setting that needs changed to get this to work.

Any thoughts, suggestions, options??

Advertisements

davyburns

davyburns

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
click on start > Run and when the box opens type "control userpasswords2" without the speech marks.
A box will appear, and in the box that says users must enter a user name and password to use this computer, uncheck the box, click OK, reboot, and it should log you on
davy

Woch2331

Woch2331

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks! It took care of the 'issue'.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

click on start > Run and when the box opens type "control userpasswords2" without the speech marks.
A box will appear, and in the box that says users must enter a user name and password to use this computer, uncheck the box, click OK, reboot, and it should log you on
davy

Cool trick!

Woch2331

Woch2331

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I still have "Shut Down" on the computer, while the others I have show "Turn Off Computer". Why is that?