Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd Request

• Please log in to reply

EpiphanyString

EpiphanyString

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello.

I am not great with computers, but I was wondering if what I am about to explain would be possible.

I would like to uninstall an application (a web messenger) and render it near-impossible to use or even install again properly. I am not really convinced by using "application blocking" programs or using firewalls to do it, unless perhaps I could block an application with a program and have it require a password.

But, basically I want to uninstall this application and never have it installed on my hard drive again and even if it is installed, somehow stop it from working correctly. I don't really know how this could be achieved, but I thought maybe messing around with the code in the registry could do something like that?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
first, what is the application. That would be the first thing we need before we could advise you further.

EpiphanyString

EpiphanyString

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It is Yahoo Messenger

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Umm, uninstall it using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Yes, Yahoo IM can be uninstalled from Add/Remove programs. It is an application that requires human interaction for it to be installed.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
All this info on uninstalling the application is not what the OP wants. I'm interested in the answer as I don't think it can be locked out or rendered "near-impossible to use or even installed again properly" as the OP wants to know. Only idea I have is to lock out all users with minimum permissions and set a Password on computer for use by admin only. Any other ideas?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is worth a look, originally aimed for Spyware and Malware and what not, can be fixed to stop anything loading up if you know what you're doing...
http://sourceforge.n...ojects/roguept/

Feed it a list of filenames/processes you don't want running. Then when somebody starts a process that is on the list, it'll get closed down.
I used this initially to block a whole bunch of P2P software that I didn't want anywhere near the computer. The sites are easy to block but download sources are many and this was the next best thing, if you can't stop them being downloaded, at least stop them being ran.

Edited by Neil Jones, 02 September 2008 - 04:58 PM.