Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop CPU Sockets

• Please log in to reply

Darken1

Darken1

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I am looking to by a new CPU and I know that I need a socket M processor. I know socket P is the wrong type and that it needs to be 667Mhz.

While looking for one I found that not a lot of sites other than newegg put it as socket M. So I was wondering since I am pretty sure socket P is also known as socket 478.

Is socket 479 the same as socket M?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I dont beleive they are compatible.
Here is the overview:

Although it may seem identical, Socket M is not pin-compatible with the older mobile Socket 479, the older desktop Socket 478 or the newer mobile Socket P.

Socket M supports a 667 MT/s front side bus with the Intel 945GM chipset

Socket P has 478 pins, but is not pin-compatible with Socket M or Socket 478

It seems like they are all different and area all incompatible with each other. The Socket M does say 667 though so thats the one you probably want.

Source 479
Source P
Source M

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Socket 479 was used for the Pentium M generation of mobile chips (Dothan etc). Its chipset FSB runs at 400Mhz or 533Mhz.

When core duo came out (Yonah) they changed the socket to socket M. This was also used for the first round of core 2 duo (Merom) chips, Specifically, T5x00's and T7x00's (check with the T7x00's as they also have a Socket P variant). Its chipset FSB runs at 533Mhz or 667Mhz. This socket does not run chips from socket 479 despite having the same number of physical pins (478).

Socket P is for the newer mobile Core 2 chips (newer Meroms, Penryn* etc). It has an 800Mhz FSB, that can 'throttle' to 400Mhz to save power (Can also use 667Mhz and 533Mhz FSB speeds). Socket P also has 478 pins, but is not pin-compatible with either of the above sockets.
_________
Socket 479 is the CPU socket for the Intel Pentium M and Celeron M, mobile processors normally used in laptops, as well as Tualatin-M Pentium III processors. The official naming by Intel is mFCPGA and mPGA479M. Despite the 479 in the name the Pentium M Processors for this socket use only 478 Pins.

It uses a different electrical pin-arrangement from socket 478, making it impossible to use a Pentium M in a normal 478 board, but yet the Pentium M fits mechanically in a Socket 478.

http://en.wikipedia....479_Pinouts.jpg
_______

Although it may seem identical, Socket M is not pin-compatible with the older mobile Socket 479, the older desktop Socket 478 or the newer mobile Socket P.

SRX660

michaelwilkins

michaelwilkins

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Bump.

ok i have a laptop with the socket m and a broken laptop my freind just gave to me mother board parts are burnt out some how. so i was wondering if it was possible to take the newer dual core cpu think its a socket p if im remembering rightly. to take the whole cpu set up and trade it with my socket m set up. just by unsoldering the socket m and soldering in the socket p would it work or just say invalid cpu. laptop i have that runs is a 2 1/2 to 3 year old and the broken laptop is about 1 1/2 years old, my friend says its a Intel® core™2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10 GHz my current cpu is a Intel Celeron M CPU 430 @ 1.73GHz so will this work both cpus are 32 bit so no problems there.