Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could the world end in nine days?

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not just that they don't think it is likely to create black holes its also that the prevailing theory is that they would not be stable and would evaporate in a fraction of a second after they are created. Also if it actually did create one it would mean they are allot more common than we thought and they would be being produced around the earth on a daily basis.

They haven't actually run any collisions yet, all they have done is run particles round the accelerator. Then they are going to do some low level collisions to calibrate the apparatus so it will be a while yet before it is running at its full physics bending speed.

Fermilab had some good news this week as well, they discovered a new particle.

Advertisements

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Here is a webcam that shows the LHC firing up.

http://lhccam.com/

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
I'm sure glad we're not on that planet! :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The first actual collisions start next week, looking forward to it.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

:)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

I had to check and see if I WAS STILL ALIVE AFTER WATCHING THAT :) :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

GENEVA - The world's largest atom smasher — which was launched with great fanfare earlier this month — has been damaged worse than previously thought and will be out of commission for at least two months, its operators said Saturday.

Experts have gone into 17-mile (27-kilometer) circular tunnel housing the Large Hadron Collider under the Swiss-French border to examine the damage that halted operations about 36 hours after its Sept. 10 startup, said James Gillies, spokesman for CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research.

"It's too early to say precisely what happened, but it seems to be a faulty electrical connection between two magnets that stopped superconducting, melted and led to a mechanical failure and let the helium out," Gillies told The Associated Press.

http://news.yahoo.co...rticle_collider

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
well I guess were safe for a few more months :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Notice the word miniature. A black hole can only suck in objects within a radius of about 3km*(number of times the sun's mass it has). A black hole 100 times the sun's mass can suck in objects within a radius of about 300km. So even if black holes were created, they would not contain enough mass to be a threat to humanity. The LHC, though, would have a slight problem.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I still think Russia will blow up the world.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

Notice the word miniature. A black hole can only suck in objects within a radius of about 3km*(number of times the sun's mass it has). A black hole 100 times the sun's mass can suck in objects within a radius of about 300km. So even if black holes were created, they would not contain enough mass to be a threat to humanity. The LHC, though, would have a slight problem.

your taking all the fun out of me fearing for my life :)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
:)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
First post I make in weeks and I get slapped in the face :)

Edited by Fredil, 23 September 2008 - 02:54 PM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
you know we missed you :)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
:) WB Fredil! :)