Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SERVICE PACK 3: slow reboot!

• Please log in to reply

giovi69

giovi69

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi all!!

I have a problem to deal with, namely the SLOWNESS of my PC during the boot procedure (I have XP service pack 3 as OS).

I don't know why but now it takes more than 2 minutes to display the DESKTOP ICONS.

To solve this issue I tried to delete all files stored in the PREFETCH registry folder, but nothing happened till now.

So how can I speed up the system at reboot??

Of course to solve this matter I could run a previous restore point but, in doing so, I'm afraid of losing some software I installed in my PC during the last few weeks.

After a short research on the web I discovered a nice and cool (at least it seems like that) MICROSOFT TOOL called BOOTVIS which, according to MICROSOFT itself, is designed to provide faster XP boot and resume times.

Have you ever heard about it? I haven't !!

If so, in your view is it fit for purpose?

Cheers from Italy

Giovanni

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello giovi69 and welcome to Geeks To Go.

Personally I wouldn't trust any program to speed up the booting process no matter who it is made by especially when this can be done in the operating system itself to some degree. Although I can use this tool my-self I am not to keen on giving this information out as I don't want to say "do this and do that" and then make your system worse, I prefer to sit there my-self and do it, if any other member is confident with the tool then I would prefer them to guide you through using the tool as your system stability is my main priority.

Just to be on the safe side I reccomend you read the following topic here and then post your problem here.
Please post your problem there if it is not malware related please post back here.

Regards

giovi69

giovi69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello giovi69 and welcome to Geeks To Go.

Personally I wouldn't trust any program to speed up the booting process no matter who it is made by especially when this can be done in the operating system itself to some degree. Although I can use this tool my-self I am not to keen on giving this information out as I don't want to say "do this and do that" and then make your system worse, I prefer to sit there my-self and do it, if any other member is confident with the tool then I would prefer them to guide you through using the tool as your system stability is my main priority.

Just to be on the safe side I reccomend you read the following topic here and then post your problem here.
Please post your problem there if it is not malware related please post back here.

Regards

Hi and thanks for your message!

So if I'm not mistaken you suggested me I should first follow the long procedure shown in the first link to make sure my Pc is not infected by any virus and then post my Hijackthis log in the second link, you kindly pointed me out on your yesterday's message, should my PC be affected by some viruses.

If instead, after using the AV TOOLS of the first link, nothing is found I should come back here at once to find out another solution rather than posting the HJT log in the second link.

Is it like that?

What if I post the HJT log now without first scanning the whole system using all the MALWARE REMOVAL TOOLS shown in the first link?

I had already scanned my PC 2 days ago with A SQUARED MALWARE, SPYWARE DOCTOR and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware but any rogue malware was found!!

So it's likely that the slowness of my PC during REBOOT is not due to any rogue virus but probably to a problem related to the WINDOWS REGISTRY.

But anyway I'll do what you asked me to do...no problem!!

Cheers.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

So if I'm not mistaken you suggested me I should first follow the long procedure shown in the first link to make sure my Pc is not infected by any virus and then post my Hijackthis log in the second link, you kindly pointed me out on your yesterday's message, should my PC be affected by some viruses.

I would read the first link, follow all the steps in that link and then post your problem in the malware forum aswell so that our experts can make sure your computer is clean of malware.

If instead, after using the AV TOOLS of the first link, nothing is found I should come back here at once to find out another solution rather than posting the HJT log in the second link.

Is it like that?

Same as above :)

What if I post the HJT log now without first scanning the whole system using all the MALWARE REMOVAL TOOLS shown in the first link?

If you want to post a log now there is nothing stopping you doing so :) but you must read the first link before you do so.

I had already scanned my PC 2 days ago with A SQUARED MALWARE, SPYWARE DOCTOR and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware but any rogue malware was found!!

So it's likely that the slowness of my PC during REBOOT is not due to any rogue virus but probably to a problem related to the WINDOWS REGISTRY.

But anyway I'll do what you asked me to do...no problem!!

Now I have read all your post I would strongly advise that you post a log in the malware forum :) when the experts give you the all clear and your computer is still running slow please return to this topic.

Regards