Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AC Power cord

• Please log in to reply

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi! (not completely sure this topic belongs here, I tried!)

My rabbit bit a piece off of my power cord for my laptop! I thought it was fine, but now I'm having trouble keeping it charged. I'm constantly unplugging and plugging it back into the machine because it keeps switching to battery power. I'm thinking I need to buy a new one, but my laptop is over 4 years old, and the warranty is up. Where can I buy a new one? It's an hp pavillion zv5000 if that's of any help. Its battery life sucks and I'm so scared it'll uncharge so much I won't get it to run anymore!

Thanks so much!!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You will have to get one from the manufacturer of your website. IE - if you have a dell laptop you will need a AC adapter from dell. You can try 3rd party retailers or ebay for that kind of thing but I wouldn't trust them in that situation.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Adapter
AC Adapter / Power Supply Cord

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Haha, conflicting advice.

If I go to BestBuy, do you think they might have a cord to a newer version of my laptop that would fit??

EDIT: Yikes, I checked out HP's site, and the list my model under a 135W adapter, but when I check the one I have, it says 120W?? Eek, what do I do? http://www.shopping....evel=2#bcAnchor

Edited by gwhoosh, 03 September 2008 - 10:11 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
As to the difference in your 120 watt and the 135 watt, as long as the output voltage is correct (18.5v) then the 135 watt is probably a better buy as the 120 watt one is rated at 6.5A while the 135 watt one is around 7.3A. This is possibly an HP upgrade to increase the power handling capacity of the ac adapter as they may have had burn out problems with the 120 watt unit.

You don't have to buy from HP, but it usually is hard to find the latest and greatest elsewhere. You will pay more for the power supply via HP.

Edited by Major Payne, 04 September 2008 - 12:30 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I was saying to get something specific for your laptop because I own three and they all have a different size power connector.....

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting one on amazon.com. I'm a little nervous as to the quality, but it was relatively cheap, which is all I can afford right now :-/ Thanks so much!