Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nVidia drivers

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have had a Dell XPS 710 for about a year and a half now. It has the nVidia 8600 GTS in it. Since I have had it, I have had to make a choice as far as what drivers to use. If I want the best graphics and options for my games, I have to use the latest nVidia drivers. Makes sense, right? Except that when I do, I can't play DVD's. No matter what software I use, it crashes to the dreaded blue screen every time it tries to play one. It says something about the file "nv4_disp.dll". I can read a DVD and look at the contents. But It will not play a movie or video. I have tried reloading all my DVD devices but it doesn't help. The only cure I have found is reloading the default nVidia drivers that came with the machine. Then DVD's play fine. But then of course I have no nVidia control panel to make my games look decent. Personally I would rather just upgrade my video card but that isn't an option right now. Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Sorry about the wait on the reply.

You said you use the latest nVidia drivers to play games - are you getting these from nvidia.com or support.dell.com? Have you tried both? Have you tried older ForceWare versions, from either site?