Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel 2003 Problem

• Please log in to reply

rsa

rsa

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am having problem with excel 2003 for this certain filename. The size is about 3MB file. Everytime I open this file it would takes long time to open this and switching from one tabe to another would take several seconds or minutes at time. It will undergo not responding before it will go back to normal again. Can someone tell me what should I do with this?

Advertisements

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Hi

Have you tried File > Save as > save the file to a new name

Does the new file also take a long time to open?

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
How many formulae?

If there's a lot of formluae you could try switcing from automatic calculation to manual and see if that makes any difference.

Are there many/any links to external spreadsheets? If so, do the files live on a different server?

Cell formatting can use up a LOT of memory - esoteric formats could slow your pc to a crawl when it's trying to do screen refreshes.

Any auto-open macros running?

rsa

rsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

How many formulae? It has plenty of formula I have about more than 10 sheets in it and they are interlinked with each other

If there's a lot of formluae you could try switcing from automatic calculation to manual and see if that makes any difference. I've tried it and somehow it worked for me but it still is slow and would not resposnd for sometime before coming back to normal

Are there many/any links to external spreadsheets? If so, do the files live on a different server? It is saved in my local PC only and no linke to external spreadsheets

Cell formatting can use up a LOT of memory - esoteric formats could slow your pc to a crawl when it's trying to do screen refreshes.I do have some cell formatting and conditional formatting in there but very few

Any auto-open macros running? I have not created any macro in that sheet

Plese find my response in red..... Thanks!!

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

How many formulae? It has plenty of formula I have about more than 10 sheets in it and they are interlinked with each other

If there's a lot of formluae you could try switcing from automatic calculation to manual and see if that makes any difference. I've tried it and somehow it worked for me but it still is slow and would not resposnd for sometime before coming back to normal

Are there many/any links to external spreadsheets? If so, do the files live on a different server? It is saved in my local PC only and no linke to external spreadsheets

Cell formatting can use up a LOT of memory - esoteric formats could slow your pc to a crawl when it's trying to do screen refreshes.I do have some cell formatting and conditional formatting in there but very few

Yeah - try removing the conditional formatting, save as a new file and see if that makes any difference.
Conditional formatting is a huge memory hog.

You say there's over 10 sheets, how many more? Another 10? 100?

How many rows/columns in each sheet?

rsa

rsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Yeah - try removing the conditional formatting, save as a new file and see if that makes any difference.
Conditional formatting is a huge memory hog. Thanks I will try that when I come back to work. I also have noticed that my sheets were all in page preview mode. I tried removing that too in normal mode and the size has somehow lessened already.

You say there's over 10 sheets, how many more? Another 10? 100? about 15 sheets in all

How many rows/columns in each sheet? I really did not take noticed of it but as far as I remember it did not passed through column "Z" rows was much longer it reach about 500-700 rows in each sheet.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
In my opinion, removing the page preview and conditional formatting should speed it up considerably, depending ultimately on your machine of course!!

Good luck.

rsa

rsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

In my opinion, removing the page preview and conditional formatting should speed it up considerably, depending ultimately on your machine of course!!

Good luck.

Yes it did improved in the speed, its actually slow still but the opening and closing has improved already significantly and the crashing of the sheet was eliminated already Thank your very much.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
You're welcome.