Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Page size too large for screen

• Please log in to reply

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have an older, probably six + years, Dell Latitude laptop. The screen measures 12" inches diagonally. A few weeks ago the machine siezed up, I couldn't log on and I was having difficulty reloading XP (Home). I used a disc cleaner, then reloaded XP and updated it to service pack 3 and IE 7. The
The display is way to big for the screen, I have to scroll to the right to read a page. This was not the case before my "adventure", the display fit the screen. A game like Free Cell is now full screen. My real problem is that in trying to reinstall Verizon DSL I can not get to the bottom of the page to hit next on the first page. There are no scroll arrows and I can't get the two-way arrow to appear.
I have tried to research this and the only thing I have come up with is resolution, but I can't get the slide/button to respond.
In spite of having gotten the laptop running again I am a pretty low-tech guy. I'll be grateful for your help.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Try This.

When you're in one of those too-wide windows, do the following.

* Hit the ALT+spacebar keys: this should pop up a menu at the upper left of the window with "move,size, minimum, maximum, and close" on it.
# Click on Size (or just type s): the cursor should change to a 4-pointed compass
# Press the right arrow key (or the key that "points to" the window border that is off the screen): the cursor should jump to that window border - which of course you can't see right now, since it's off the screen.
# Press the left arrow key (or the opposite of whatever key you pressed in the previous step) to resize the window: the edge of the window should move in the direction you've chosen.
# Press Enter when done resizing.

SRX660

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
SRX660,

Thanks. Followed your instructions, everthing worked as you indicated it would, but outcome was the same; display/page did not fit the screen, I still needed to scroll to see entire page. Even as I type this response the entire field is not visible at one time. I put the Verizon DSL disc in to see if I could use your suggestion, I sstill could not get to the "next" box so that I could move to the next page. If you have any further thoughts or suggestions I would be grateful
Thanks & regards
Tom

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Make certain you have the correct screen resolution set

RIGHT CLICK a blank area of the screen then select PROPERTIES then SETTINGS and see what is there

at 640x480 most things will overlap

Change it to 800x600 or 1028x768 IF these are available

If they are not available you will need drivers for the hardware you are using and after this is loaded things should be back to normal

Hope this helps

Baudy! :)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Did you redownload and install the correct drivers for this laptop from the dell website?

SRX660

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Baudy & SRX660,

I followed Baudy's instructions; properties and settings, the slide bar shows green until I put the cursor on it, then it turns yellow and won't move. That screen shows (Display Monitor) on and Color Quality(16 bit) with no alternatives. I haven't gone to Dell to download drivers. How do I do that.

Thanks for your help, let me know what comes next. If there is a next. Sometimes I feel like I had been sitting in the forest covered in mud and stumbled on the 21st Century!
Regards
Tom

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What is the model of your laptop. It should be on a tag on the bottom of the computer. It should say something like Model No: PPX
Latitude CPi-R Series

If yopur computer did not come with XP you may have to try using windows 2000 drivers to see if it will work.

http://support.dell..../...n&TabIndex=

The above was for the CPi-R series.

SRX660

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Baudy & SRX660,

I followed Baudy's instructions; <snip> Quality(16 bit) with no alternatives. .

Regards
Tom

Well there it is....at the least You need to follow SRX660's advice and go get the appropriate drivers for your video card
Install them and change the resolution and things will improve out of hand

If you got to CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > HARDWARE > DEVICE MANAGER and see if any items have yellow "!" exclamation marks or red "x"'s about them. These also will need attention and probably drivers so you can get them all at the one time

This is standard procedure for a re-install...you need to be VERY lucky to have Windo$e contain all of the drivers you need

CHeers

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Baudy,

I had gone to Dell.com to look for driver downloads. There were 81 available for my laptop, out of that bunch 9 were recommended, I downloaded them. No change. After I got your message I went through the Control Panel routine and found that there were three items with yellow question marks:
PCI Modem
Video Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
I tried the reinstall driver for each of them, same response install CD. I don't have it. I guess that I'll go back to Dell and see if there are any matches, although this stuff doesn't seem to be intuitive.

Thanks and regards

Tom

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi

Can you post the model details of your system

I don't know Dell very well but usually these things ex[and themselves to a 'temp' folder and need to be installed from there

Some install directly but they will tell you that and ask for confirmation so you know what is happening

Try using a ZIP or RAR app to extract the files they offer as a compressed archive

Put them somewhere that YOU can find again

Look in there for and INSTALL or SETUP and if there is one run that

If there are no install apps then you have to go back to the DEVICE entry

double click on it and find the DRIVER RE-INSTALL tab...use that and when it asks point it at the folder where you unpacked the files to

There are so many different ways to do this simple step it is rediculous but thems the breaks

EVERY entry with the yellow "!" will need to be updated before the system is where it should be

Cheers

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Baudy,

I went back and did the Control Panel routine you suggested, and after some trial and error (many) got the PCI Modem and Video Controller/Video Controller(VGA Compatible) to re-install. Then back to Resolution and found that the slide bar now worked. Got the display to the right size in two tries. I am now in hog heaven, no more scrolling to finish a sentence. I can now move onto reinstalling some other things that will make my life easier.

Thanks for your help, if you hadn't gotten me to look for those items I'd still be sitting here muttering, at best, or swearing a blue streak, at worst.

Regards

Tom