Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Repair

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
My PC is 7 years old. I have an Emachines computer, with Windows XP. I have never used a registry repair program nor had a professional check my registry for errors. My question is, are there any free and RELIABLE registry repair programs available to download from the internet? I have been told NOT to use any free registry repair programs, because they are Not reliable. But, I'm on a very fixed income (That's why my pc is so old) and I'm pretty sure I need to check my registry for errors. It is hanging up, starts slow, and is slow when I am browsing. I thought it might be malware or spyware but I do have a reliable program for those issues. Can anyone set me straight? Are there Any free registry repair programs that is good, and reliable? I'd appreciate some professional advice. Thanks! :)

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

[b]My PC is 7 years old. I have an Emachines computer, with Windows XP. I have never used a registry repair program nor had a professional check my registry for errors. My question is, are there any free and RELIABLE registry repair programs available to download from the internet?

Hello †_Moose_†

Here at Geeks To Go we do not condone the use of registry cleaners. Here is a quote from an expert who is at this forum

There are a few misunderstandings about the Registry. People seem to think that cleaning the Registry will make the Registry smaller and easier managable. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. What you are doing is create miniature gaps in the Registry's on-disc file. These gaps will be reused by new data to be inserted in the Registry. End result of this action is that the Registry becomes fragmented. Searching data in a fragmented file (be it a database on a network server or a user's Registry) is way slower than an optimized file. In short the only way to speed up handling of the Registry (and even that is marginal) is by completely rewriting the file(s).

Therefore the only program I used on Windows machines was Registry Compressor who would do that. Unfortunately the program has been sold to another company and guess what they incorporated in it!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Registry cleaner. *groan!!!!!!!!!!*

Cleaning the Registry is a difficult thing for someone who knows what he's doing as programmers can put anything they want in the Registry. If an unexperienced person is going to take a look at the Registry and based on a program is going to delete things.... Recipe for disaster.

Trust me the perceived benefits of cleaning a Registry is marginally (if at all) noticeable.

Basically I wouldn't even bother looking for one as these can cause you more hassle than enough and no one here will help you in regards to these cleaners as they are againt the terms of use.

Regards

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thank you Wizzy. I thought that was the case but I just wanted to hear it from a professional to be certain. Best wishes and thanks again.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Your welcome †_Moose_† and glad I could help you

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Remember there are other ways to clean your computer.
I made a post at http://www.geekstogo...ow-t210685.html

The guide made there is for XP / Vista.
I hope that is of any help.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 04 September 2008 - 12:15 PM.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

I thought it might be malware or spyware but I do have a reliable program for those issues. Can anyone set me straight?

You're welcome to post in our Malware Forums to get your PC checked. For free of course. :)
Start here --> http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html