Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP!-first time building computer

• Please log in to reply

egriffi5

egriffi5

• Pip
  • 2 posts
alright i just finished putting together my first computer and i went to start it up and it starts fine...but then a few seconds later it just completely shuts off. now i cant get the computer to start again.

please help as i am really hoping i didnt screw anything up or got any bad parts

Specs: Cosair 650 psu
gigabyte S-series 965P-DS3 mobo
Intel Q6600 2.4gHz quad core cpu
WD SATA 500gb HD
2Gb ram

planning on installing xp as my os...but havent got a chance to bc of my problem...let me know if you need any specific details or specs

Advertisements

egriffi5

egriffi5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok the one of the problems i thought of was a bad power supply. i removed the psu from the case completely and tested it with a paper clip and the fan in the psu ran fine so the psu's good!

one other problem i saw people ran into with this kind of problem is a bad power swtich so i jumped the power swtich (did this before removing the psu just so you dont think im an idiot) but...nothing. i am going to attempt to put the psu back in the case and reconnect everything.
i doubted that was the problem though bc the computer started fine at first and everything was loading ok...but then it just turned off and wont come back on
i am 99.99% sure everything was correctly plugged in the first time im wondering if something could be wrong with the mobo...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Have you got an answer to your problems yet? Have you tried our troubleshooting thread?

Cheers

Troy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Because the PSU starts doesn't mean it is good, the board might be detecting out of range power from the supply and shutting down. Only way to properly test is to try it on a different system or try the existing system with a known working PSU.

Check all the fans are in place, check the HS is on properly and the fan works as allot of boards will shut themselves down on a fan fail especially for the HSF.

Check your memory is in securely it often needs a very hard push to clip in, if there is any wobble in the retaining clips on the DIMMS the memory isn't seated, its a common problem that even people with experience have as it does sometimes need much more of a push than you might think safe.

You can try running it with only one stick of memory sometime you might get a bad stick.