Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software Internet Not Working

• Please log in to reply

Josh_Seltzer

Josh_Seltzer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Not sure if I put this here...

Well, recently on my computer, my Internet was connected, but programs such as Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer would only connect to certain websites. Also, programs like MSN would work. Sites not working included Google, Hotmail, Facebook, and most websites requiring logins. Other search engines like Live would work, though.

So downloaded some virus removal programs, and ad-aware/trojans etc. and got rid of everything. Even after that it still didn't work, so I uninstalled Java (I had heard there had been problems with it). After that things seemed to work. However, I then tried downloading Safari and Chrome. Safari installed, but won't connect, Chrome won't install (at the part where it says it has to connect to Internet), and I also already had mIRC on my computer, and that won't connect.

Roger's Self Healing centre tells me to unplug the modem, wait a minute and plug it back in, then restart the computer. I've done that numerous times, nothing changes.

I would also like to mention I'm really not good with computers, and it seems only MSN, Firefox and Internet Explorer are working out of all of my Internet programs (and games that came with Windows I think).

I'm using a Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Version 2002. Since I'm not too good with computers, if you say you need more information please help me acquire it. Thanks.

Also, last note, I've tried ipconfig /displaydns a few times in the cmd window, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but when I do ipconfig /dnsflush that usually works, sometimes not. It might not have to do with anything, but I suspect it has something to do with Internet.

Last thing, when I tried these programs, my Firewall was not on. Right now it is, with all those programs in the exception list and ticked.

Thanks

Advertisements