Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

in what order should i remove norton and install free security?

• Please log in to reply

busydad

busydad

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
hi i have a new computer running vista and it came with 60 days of norton security suite free. i hate norton but i have let it run while i researched the various freeware. i am ready to make the switch, but is there some guidelines i should follow when removing norton and installing programs like super anti spyware,comodo firewall, avast anti virus? are the recommendations for freeware that geeks to go provides current for vista users?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The only rule is don't have conflicting software.
Therefore take Norton off before you install anything else.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
If you're concerned about being unprotected during the uninstall of Norton and installation of Avast, download the installer for Avast and save it to your desktop, then you can disconnect from the internet and do the uninstall/reinstall.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

hi i have a new computer running vista and it came with 60 days of norton security suite free. i hate norton but i have let it run while i researched the various freeware. i am ready to make the switch, but is there some guidelines i should follow when removing norton and installing programs like super anti spyware,comodo firewall, avast anti virus? are the recommendations for freeware that geeks to go provides current for vista users?

If you're concerned about being unprotected during the uninstall of Norton and installation of Avast, download the installer for Avast and save it to your desktop, then you can disconnect from the internet and do the uninstall/reinstall.

best thing i can suggest is like sari mentioned download avast then go to nortons website and download the norton removal tool just to make sure you get all of the different parts of norton taken off... then disconnect your computer from the internet and run the norton uninstaller tool then install avast..only reason i suggest the norton removal tool is because norton has a nack tof being difficult to get rid of.. thats why they made the removal tool for it... some poeple dont have any trouble with it but some just wish it didnt exist...hopefully yours works out nicely

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
Make sure, you turn Windows firewall on, before reconnecting to the net.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
actually if you uninstall norton then install avast you dont need the windows firewall.. it would be better to leave it turned off as it usually counteracts AV programs and causes more headaches... if you have a av that acts as a firewall too then there is no need to have the windows firewall running...

now i dont know if avast has a firewall or not.. if not then completely ignore what i just said.. but if you turn it on and start having problems.. specifically internet connection trouble.. turn windows firewall back off...

edit: broni i like the signature.. seize the day.. xD

Edited by SomeCrazyStuff, 13 September 2008 - 09:34 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Avast is antivirus only program. Windows firewall must be turned on.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Avast is antivirus only program. Windows firewall must be turned on.

ha ok.. my fault.. thats what i get for posting before i looked it up... thx for the correction.. xD

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Not a problem :)