Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screensaver will not work

• Please log in to reply

broski

broski

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My screensaver will not kick in, and I am at a loss. Here is the hijackthis output, if it can be of any help:

[attachment=23192:HiJackThis_log.txt]

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello broski...

Does this happen only when you have Media Player running?

Do you have a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse connected?

wannabe1

broski

broski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello broski...

Does this happen only when you have Media Player running?

Do you have a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse connected?

wannabe1

Well, I don't have a media player running, but I do use a microsoft wireless keyboard, but in conjunction with a logitech wireless mouse.

Sounds like you have heard of this one before? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Microsoft Wireless Keyboards have been known to cause the screensaver not to start on some machines. To see if this is the case with your machine, pull the keyboard's receiver out of the machine while it's running and see if the screensaver starts as it should.

Have you installed Service Pack 3? It was supposed to address this issue. SP1 in Vista addressed the same problem in Vista machines.

broski

broski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I do have service pack 3. And to correct something, it's an HP keyboard, not a microsoft keyboard, but I'm guessing that your solution will work. I wasn't using the keyboard for a while, and wasn't having this problem. When I started to use it again(plugged it in), the problem popped up. I will confirm this when I test it out.

Thanks!

broski

broski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I pulled the keyboard's receiver from the machine overnight, and still have the problem. I'm going to try to disconnect it, then restart the machine to see if that helps.