Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser opens window and freezes

• Please log in to reply

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
HI
I have a computer with win xp sp2. I removed the hard drive and put it in another computer. I ran windows repair and now the computer is up and running except the explorer. When I open the internet explorer it usually opens o.k. but when I type another sight it opens another window and freezes. Iran updates and installed sp3 and nothing changed. I then ran ie7 (it was not installed before) and the same happens. I checked for spyware and viruses but it is clean.
I ran sfc/scannow and it did not help.
Does any one have any ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to patch it back with what it had before you repaired it otherwise it ends up in a hybrid state.
Install things such as Media Player 11 if you had it before, Internet Explorer 7 and any other updates before you install SP3. Take SP3 off, grab copies of Media Player 11 and IE7, install them, patch the system with SP3 and then do the remaining updates.

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
The thing is that IE7 was not installed till after the problem acured. Till then it was Ie6.
I will try and take it back to the older computer.