Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Switching Master Harddrive To Slave?

• Please log in to reply

stevlo

stevlo

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
<_< I was checking all my hardware today on win xp,and i noticed that my master hardisk is 7gb,and my slave harddisk is 13gb.I couldnt find out which harddisk is faster,but found that odd.the pc was given to me so i dont have the info for all my hardware.What I was wondering, if it is a better idea to change the master hardisk drive to the 13gb,and the 7gb to the slave.I have never done this before,and i was wondering if i do make that change if it will affect my pc?or do i have to start all over again?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The 13gb drive will likely be slightly faster, but I really doubt you'd notice the difference. Probably the 13gb was an upgrade, and they didn't want to transfer the files.

stevlo

stevlo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Can you tell by the cylinder numbers if the hardisk is faster?if so the 13gb is about 1500 and the 7gb is 700.If i did want to change it can you tell me how its done? <_< I opened my pc and one hardisk is a fujitsu-7gb,and the 13gb is a
quantum fireball.they didnt display the rpm`s on them.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Higher capacity hard drives generally have a higher density of data per square inch. Becuase the platter has to move a smaller distance to transfer the same amount of data, it will perform better. BUT, faster is all relative. It's really not worth your time or potential data loss to switch these drives. They are so close that you will probably not notice the difference in every day use, but could identify it using a benchmark.

The best hard drive benchmark is from ATTO, click here to download. Post the results back to this topic if you want a second opinion.