Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

500gb HDDs reading as a 130GB HDD :/

• Please log in to reply

Gwalchgwyn

Gwalchgwyn

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My main 125gb (i know its crap :)) hard disk which i have been using for about 3-4 years now would (only recently) every now and then make a scary sounding and quite loud clicking noise - usually when it was running a few programs or a demanding program (in this case WoW). So i figured that it is probably on its last legs so i backed up all my data onto my external drive and went out to buy a new and shiny 500gb SATA drive.

After pluging it into an IDE port (which is the only type of port i have on my motherboard) i went to install windows on it, but it could only find 130gb of unpartitioned space instead of 475gb which i found weird, but i still went ahead with the installation after it had formatted a 130gb partition thinking that i could just go My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > Then select and format the left over unallocated space but when i got to that, there was only the formatted 130gb! Absolutely no unallocated space! I then restarted my comp and went into windows repair where i used the CHKDSK command in the windows repair console (which i think is the same as MS-DOS) which actually found 130gb of partitioned space and 345gb unallocated space - which windows could not seem to detect for some reason.

Anyone got any clue as to wth is going on here??

Edited by Gwalchgwyn, 09 September 2008 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is the max size for a Windows XP install w/o service pack. I'm sure whether it was SP1 or 2 that increased the max size of a partition but I would install your service packs and see how that goes.

Gwalchgwyn

Gwalchgwyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
But surely it would still show the unallocated space?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

But surely it would still show the unallocated space?

Not under XP with no service packs, no.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
XP shows its age without service packs, remember that when it was designed 20Gb on a disk was large.

Gwalchgwyn

Gwalchgwyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, thanks alot :)

One more question though.

If i install the service packs now - how could i get the entire hard disk space into one partition? Is it possible? Becuase in theory i'd have to delete the exisiting partition to format it as the entire drive hence deleting windows and the service pakcs : /

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would keep the 130Gb as your OS and then format the other to use as a data partition. This helps as extra data security allowing you to reinstall the OS on the drive without losing data on the other partition. If you want you can use something like G-parted from a linux live CD to merge the partitions but it can take a long time, or you can buy something like arcronis for windows which can do the same thing.