Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Direct more processing power to specific program

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
This is in regards to Paragon Disk Wiper.
When I'm wiping an entire hard drive it takes over a day for a 640G hard drive.
Is there a way of directing almost all of the processor power to the software program?
I only have an E4600 and I don't think most of my power is being used. Once I start using
Disk Wiper there is no way of checking.
Thanks.
jst42day

Advertisements

Clayton Rupe

Clayton Rupe

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The easiest way that I have found is to Press Ctrl-ALT-Del .. in Task Manager right click on the program and goto process. Right click on the Process and Set Priority to High. This will allow this process greatest processing usuage even above your operating system. Be careful that you have no other programs running in the background.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

The easiest way that I have found is to Press Ctrl-ALT-Del .. in Task Manager right click on the program and goto process. Right click on the Process and Set Priority to High. This will allow this process greatest processing usuage even above your operating system. Be careful that you have no other programs running in the background.

Thanks.
I'll try that though I don't see how it can be done if I'm running off an installed wiping program. The only thing that shows is the Paragon screen.
Have a good day.
jst42day

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Disc scrubbers will always take a long time to take. It basically writing to every single spot on the spindles.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can use Dban its pretty fast for wiping a disk, it takes a while because its a full wipe, if all you want to do is empty it and start fresh just erase the partition and reformat. The old data is still there but the computer just reads it as junk space and shows it as blank till it over writes it, unless you are selling the drive yo don't really need to wipe it all.