Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's the point of having a public forum when people can't he

• Please log in to reply

Dojo

Dojo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When new spyware and malware comes out, I think it really hampers the ability of people to stop it from spreading if you don't allow people who find out information to post it as soon as it becomes available.

Here is a thread someone made who has been infected with a new malware that just popped up three days ago. The thread so far doesn't have any useful replies. I tried to reply with the information I know so far about it, and it told me "Only staff members" can respond. How pretentious do you have to be to NOT allow people to help because you only want your l33t "staff members" helping?

Anyway, here's the thread:

http://www.geekstogo...l...l&p=1327329

And here's my reply (that I could not post):

REMOVED BY admin

Too bad the thread starter will not be able to read it.

Edited by admin, 09 September 2008 - 10:56 PM.
removed malware removal advice

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Your post is actually a great example of why we only allow malware staff to reply to malware removal topics. You advised the user to edit their registry with very vague instructions, and without having them backup the registry first. If your instructions were appropriate and needed to remove the infection we would have offered instructions on how to backup the registry first, and probably a registry script to make the edit for them. There are also tools that would remove the registry key without having to reboot "very quickly".

Finally, how do you know what else they may be infected with, or if your removal instructions worked? Additional scans are needed to fully diagnose the system, and follow up scans would also be run to ensure everything's removed.

Since you have a desire to help people remove malware, I'd suggest you enroll in GeekU where you can learn proper techniques.

P.S. The member received a reply from a staff member 20 hours ago, but has not yet responded to it. If they respond, I suggest you watch how our "l33t staff members" work. :)

Clayton Rupe

Clayton Rupe

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Post removed. Please do not offer any type of malware advice on this site unless you are staff.

Edited by Kat, 10 September 2008 - 01:15 AM.

Clayton Rupe

Clayton Rupe

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The staff posted while I was replying to the topic. :) I totally agree with the staff. Never ask someone to try and quickly do something there computer can do for them and everyone will have to do. We need to find out more information. We need to know what is starting and where it is located :)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
If we were to let anybody reply to the malware removal forum, things would be a complete mess. It would be extremely dangerous to let people who have no experience in malware removal to post dangerous advice there. I've seen it before, and will see it again no doubt.

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Dojo and Clayton Rupe, please understand that removing malware from an infected computer is not as simple as you think. In fact, it is a tedious and thorough process that requires good communication between both the helper and the user.

Often so, people without experience don't know how to remove all the infections on their computer and look for fast solutions that only remove the obvious but not the hidden malware on their computer. This will not do. If you want to solve the problem, you have to find the roots and remove it. Same with malware removal here.

Like you have seen in malware forum, staff members use various tools to analyse and find the root cause of the problem, and use a tool that targets them well. Only so can a victim receive adequate and accurate help.

Registry is a complicated part of the computer system, something that shouldn't be tampered with without full knowledge of what it does. Like admin pointed out, backing up registry is a very crucial step that must be done before doing anything to the registry, every malware trainee is taught that in GeekU. People that have not gone through training won't know of such precautions, and it's very likely that they make an error and mess up the whole system.

Geekstogo is a prestigious forum that offer help to numerous users each day, the staff here cannot allow such incomplete and untrained advice going on, not because they don't want the users to get help quickly, but because they cannot allow any chances for mistakes that messes up a victim's computer.

Edited by Ltangelic, 11 September 2008 - 07:30 AM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
It is also a good practice to have one person helping, rather then a bunch of people jumping in to give advice.
You know "too many cooks spoil the brew" type thing.
Would you really want a bunch of people you do not know fixing your computer, or some one who has shown that they know what they are doing?