Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will any CPU work on any computer?

• Please log in to reply

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'm in the process of trying to make this storebought computer a little better and my friend has a spare CPU that he bought, a really good one that he doesn't need any more. I know how to install the CPU but was wondering if it will do more trouble then good to my computer seeing how this is like a 600 dollar computer from walmart. Will installing a super ausome CPU into a moderatly or even sluggish old computer do more harm than good?

Advertisements

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Surely it depends on whether or not your existing motherboard will support the cpu you intent to replace.

This I found to my cost several years ago, trying to upgrade an old P3 to a P4.

Bought a new motherboard, only to find that the old RAM & Graphics card were incompatible.

Ended up building a new pc.

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Alright, sounds like this motherboard probably won't. Lol. But anyways, where would you find out if it would support it?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Write down the make of model of the motherboard (open the case and look what's written on the motherboard) and of the CPU. We'll help you to find out.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No need to open it up, just download something like CPU-Z and it will give the vital statistics of the CPU you have now from which you can then see what processors are roughly compatible. Also grab PC-wizard and it will give you even more detail including motherboard make and model then post the info in here either read it and type it, take a text dump off either application or take some screenshots of the relevant info.

A mod might also want to move this to SB&U forum rather than windows.

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
This is a pretty crappy computer, so don't you laugh. :)
Alright so i found out that the motherboard is made by TriGem Computer Inc.
It's a Glendale Motherboard Model.
Took a screeny, fancy telling me how to figure out what CPU's will be supported by this one?

Attached Files

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It's a rather old computer with 478 pin cpu socket, taking Intel Pentium 4 and Celeron. If the other CPU is newer then it's a 775 pin, which will not fit your computer.

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ok, yes I understand. So the newest cpu's have pins instead of socket holes, which I'm fairly sure the cpu my friend doesn't need has a pins so.. I guess I'll need a new motherboard =)
Anyone know the cheapest motherboard I can get that has a socket T? (LGA775)

Edit (PS. Found one - Foxconn M7VMX-K LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / nForce 610i Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

This one will work fine for me, thanks for the help guys.

Edited by IrrevocableXenophile, 10 September 2008 - 12:28 PM.