Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop is blank!

• Please log in to reply

Flame0103

Flame0103

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'll try and make this short. For a long while I've been having problems with my computer. Everything from The Blue Screen, slow start ups, annoying Chkdisk everytime I reboot and corrupted files. When its completly unusable I take it in for repairs and those have cost me a lot. This is my latest problem: The computer takes too long to load ( you know, were the logo appears and the little bar at the bottom) then when I get to my user selection screen, out comes a little gray bar saying that my C:/system volume restore/ is corrupted. I click ok and another one pops in its place saying the same thing. After clicking ok 4-5 more times I click on my user and it takes about a minute or 2 to display my desktop. Then when it does all I see is my wallpaper but all my files, programs, icos, and taskbar are missing. I can't click anything, nothing!! Can anyone help me here? Plz. I'll gladly appreciate it. My computer is a Windows XP, that's all I know.

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Hmmmmmm. I can't help you with most of your problems. As for the desktop icons, try the following:

Right Click On your Screen (desktop) and go to "Arrange Icons By" then make sure "Show Desktop Icons" is checked.

Personally, to me, it sounds malicious. However I am not certified to help you beyond the basic Tips, and Tricks.

I wish you the best of luck...

Flame0103

Flame0103

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Right click menu won't appear. UPDATE: Icons reapeared when I hooked up my Mp3 to it, but then everything dissapeared again, except for Wallpaper. Tnxs for help though, appreciate it.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Well, if you keep taking your computer for repairs often, then you either try different shop, or there is something seriously wrong with your machine.
When it gets fixed, are you getting any warranty?

Flame0103

Flame0103

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Sometimes, but it often expires after the warrenty is over with.

Flame0103

Flame0103

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
UPDATE: It's completly corrupted, gives me a black screen saying to put in Windows installation CD to repair. I'm doing that, but I'm following this forums comp. repair. Tnxs everyone for the help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
As I said, try different shop. Your computer has to be thoroughly checked.

Flame0103

Flame0103

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yeah, if the comp. repair doesn't work I'm taking it to a different shop. Have any recommendations?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I have no idea where you live, but you may ask friends, family.

Flame0103

Flame0103

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
yeah ok, tnxs for the advice.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You simply may have some hardware issues, and that can be checked at the shop.

Flame0103

Flame0103

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey me again, here are the results!! Drum roll please *drum roll*

I fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or rather my brother and I fixed it, here's the story...

We've just came back from the library and my brother was getting alittle frustrated with having to wait until we took the comp. to the shop, so he checked out a book to try and fix the comp. Ironicly it was a Troubelshooting for Dummies, THAT'S RIGHT!! A dummy book..... well anyway I stayed at the library while my borther use the book and tried to fix the comp. When I came home he was at the page were you had to put in the CD-Key to complete instalation!! I couldn't get their because when the computer tried to formate it always got stuck on 15%.

My brother got passed that by doing a quick format when prompted. All we needed was the CD-Key, we didn't have another computer so we couldn't use the program to find it, so we franticly started looking all over the house for it. It took bout an hour when we finally found the manual for it, but the big card that was glued to the back was gone.
It appeared all was lost... until a glimmer of hope flashed from ontop the hardrive... their was a sticker, no more than 1" x 2 " wide, their lied printed in small text the CD-Key... WE quickly typed it in and in 30 min. poof our computer rebooted and now our computer works like new, only that all our music, documents, etc. was lost TT_TT but it wasn't a total loss.
Anyway, I wanted to say thanx to all you guys here at Geeks to Go for the help you gave me in my time of need, now that I have my computer back, I'll be able to post more frequently. Thanks alot you guys, Rock On!!!

\,,/, """__"""