Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet and Network troubles

• Please log in to reply

RuneLionheart

RuneLionheart

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my first time in a tech forum but after days of frustration I figured its worth asking for help. I have been running windows vista on my desktop with no problems until recently. My internet connection shows excellent signal strength and I can connect to websites, but its at near dial-up speed. Also I was using my ICS to run my PS3 online which no longer connects to the network. I have not changed any settings or downloaded new software. After much frustration and endless searches online I reinstalled windows. Same problem. If anyone can help me I would be incredibly grateful.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried the TCP optimizer?

http://www.speedguid...t/downloads.php

SRX660

RuneLionheart

RuneLionheart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, I ran the optimizer and it didn't help. I gave up on using ICS and just want my internet to run like broadband should. Here is what I found interesting. My desktop wireless card is a D'Link extreme N and the wireless router is an apple airport N router. The apple is broadcasting at 130MBPS but is running like dial-up. When I hook my old Linksys wireless G router it is actually a lot faster. Not quite broadband speed but tolerable. It must be configuration in Vista but even after a fresh install of Vista and updated drivers, still no luck. :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The first port of call for Internet issues like these after a fresh installation is to phone up the internet provider and shout at them.
With all due respect, there's not a lot anybody can do if its a provider problem. Wireless speeds mean nothing, that's the speed of the connection between computer and router which can be as high or as low as you want.