Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printing a corrupt file (oops)

• Please log in to reply

Joetag

Joetag

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I hold the new IT position at my agency, I just started Monday. Today someone printed a 1-page word document on the network printer/copier on my floor and it sent about 350 pages to the printer with jibberish (mix of random symbols and letters) printed all over them. I had to go in and delete the job manually in the copier, the stop/cancel button didn't work and when I tried to turn the power off, it wanted to finish printing the job first before it powered off. Anyway, my guess is that happens when someone tries to print a corrupt file on this printer (she can print it on her local printer just fine.) Is there a way to tell if a file is corrupt and is there a way to fix it. Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the file (to be printed) was corrupt it wouldn't have loaded on the original machine to be printed.
No, more likely the print job was corrupt or the machine is set up in some obscure fashion, most likely because the machine in question is trying to print to a printer with a totally incompatible driver.

Joetag

Joetag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I thought it might be a driver problem but you can print other documents without any problems that are on the same network drive. I just copied and pasted everything into a new Word document and it printed fine.