Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do We need another new computer?

• Please log in to reply

orange123

orange123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a volunteer at a non-profit that purchased a very nice Dell computer (Computer A) with Windows XP last spring. I think this computer has been used for aproximately 5-8 hours since it was purchased, but I can't prove this because I am only a part-time volunteer. Now another volunteer would like us to write grants to buy another new computer - (Computer B). I do not understand this because we have a new computer (Computer A) that is barely used. Is there a way (utility or something) that I can run which will tell me how much time Computer A is :) being used in a seven day period? Thank you for your help, Orange

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Whether its worth replacing the computer depends on what its being used for more than anything else.

But anyway, go into Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks, then click on the Advanced menu and "View Log" option. This'll give you an idea of when the thing was loaded into and exited from Windows so you'll have a very rough idea of powering on and off times but you'll never know now how much it has been used. Just because its switched on at 9am and off again at 5pm doesn't mean its being used 9-5, for all you know its being used as extra decor.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Could set up the kiddie type monitoring program to keep track of all computer usage including a scheduled on/off use times. :)

Other sources you might like instead:

Spector Pro
HowtoSpy

Definition of Computer surveillance.

I certainly wouldn't buy a new computer to just be buying one. If the grant money will be reduced/lost if not used, then it would be worthwhile getting a new computer and accessories for both. If there is a need for more than one computer, then by all means, buy a new one.

Edited by Major Payne, 11 September 2008 - 03:17 PM.