Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help setting up my router!

• Please log in to reply

saraface

saraface

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have a Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway model CG814CGMR that I purchased from Charter a long time ago. the wireless router I am currently using to create my home network doesnt work well at all and I'm trying to set this one up, but for some reason I cannot get it to connect.
Does anyone know of an online tutorial that can help me set this thing up? I googled my brains out and I can't find anything that works for me. Everything says to follow the wizards instructions to change the settings, but since this router was used on my computer once before, it doesnt do an autorun or anything and I don't have a disk for it (that I know of..)

I know how to open the settings configuration page, and until today, I thought I knew how to set up a router but it just won't work.
Also, it says its connected and it broadcasts the signal but when I try to open explorer, the connection does not work. This happens on the wired computer and the laptop.

I know it worked at one time and I don't get it. Please, help!

Advertisements

iman74

iman74

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Why Google when you know the provider? Anyway go here: http://kbserver.netgear.com/ put in the model number on the search and find the manual and work off that.

For home users, I love to use Linksys, they do the job, and easy to configure. Support is eh, but if it breaks it's so cheap just try to firmware flash it or just get a new one.

saraface

saraface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I looked up the manual on that site, but its not really helping me much. Here's something I find interesting, though:

Under Gateway Status in the setting page for the router, it reads the MAC addresses, and it says the CM certificate is installed, however under Network Access, it says denied.

This router is brodcasting its signal. The cable connection is complete, however when I attempt to use the connection, it does not work.

Should I maybe call my cable company and see if they have any ideas? Maybe it's not working because it needs to be registered with them? Until now, I've been using a router as opposed to this wireless gateway that I'm trying to use now.

Edited by saraface, 12 September 2008 - 08:37 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you using this router/modem as your modem now as well? are you still with charter? when you stopped using it did you get a regular wired modem that you then ran through a regular router?

if that's the case then you're going to need to call charter (or your new isp if you're not with charter) to reprovision that modem to have access to their network

saraface

saraface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
okay, so I've got my wired computer to connect to the internet (finally) and now I'm having a problem getting my laptop to connect!

It picks up the wireless signal and it says it's connected, but it does not work when i try to load up a web page or connect to instant messenger. I'm sure its my settings, but I don't know where to start. please help or direct me to a tutorial =\

saraface

saraface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I think some group of forces is secretly working to wear down my sanity. I power cycled everything and it's working now. Thanks for all the help.