Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating desite more than adaquate cooling

• Please log in to reply

kurple

kurple

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had my computer for a month over a year now. It use to run very well but then it started to bog down a bit. After a while I would get a lot of errors in my video games. They would always happen after I have been playing for a little while and the frequency would increase as the total play time went up (I would usually restart the game after an error).

I got a new video card since I was blaming this on the fact that the fan stopped spinning on my 7300 gt. I upgraded to a radeon 4850 and the problem still persists. for a while it stopped having errors when I had it hooked up in my living room, but now it's back in my room and the problems are happening again.

This whole time I have had a very large box fan next to my open case and it worked at one point in time. Now the errors are happening even with the fan turned on high (it spins fast enough to propel an airplane into space).

I just upgraded to the latest video card drivers but that hasn't helped either. I use an Asus m29-e mobo, 2 gbs of ram, an sata 500 bg hd and an amd atholon fx-62 2.81 dual core cpu. I don't really know what to do. :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you started the computer in the bios and looked at the temp's there while the computer is running? It sounds like the heatsink compound has dried up or was improperly applied, so you are not keeping the CPU cool.

SRX660

kurple

kurple

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, my cpu actually was overheating. I'm tempted to pick up a phenom since the price got reduced.