Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help In Repairing Windows XP (Home Edition)

• Please log in to reply

dave.woody

dave.woody

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I'm wondering if someone can help me.

The administrator posted a great step-by-step guide of how to repair windows XP and I've followed all the steps carefullybut until I reach the "Windows Setup Screen".

When I press enter to "Setup Windows XP" instead of the license agreement coming up there is just the blue screen with "Windows XP Home Edition Setup" as the title and "Examining 114471 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi..." across the bottom. Clearly this is not supposed to happen.

Incase it's important I'll just mention why I want to repair the OS. My sister turned off the computer mannually while it was installing updates, which has obviously really upset XP somehow.

I should also admit to pressing the "R" key when I first tried to repair windows as I did not know of any forums which outline the steps.

Thanks to anyone who can help,
:)

Edited by dave.woody, 13 September 2008 - 09:39 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What are the problems that you have with the computer? Please be specific. We may try other procedures to avoid repair, which is a last ditch solution.

dave.woody

dave.woody

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry if that was unclear, I'll start from the beginning.

While updates were being installed onto the computer my sister accidently turned off the power mannually (as in, holding in the power button). When I tried to turn the computer back on all the usual splash screens came up and then a black screen saying;

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupeted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally."

Then 5 options;

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Commnad Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

None of these options worked all simply restarted the computer and brought up the same screen again.

Eventually I decided the OS would need repairing. I entered BIOS and set to boot from CD ROM. Then used the XP disk to repair the damage. Here's where my problem is.

The CD boots and I am confronted with the usual blue screen with the three options; set up windows XP, repair using recovery console and quit setup.

When I press the enter key to enter the windows XP set up I end up with a blue screen where the license agreement should come. It has "Widnows XP Home Edition Setup" at the top and "Examining 114471 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi.." along the bottom. It stays frozen on this. I have left it for 2/3 hours but there is no change. The same thing happens when I enter recovery console.

I've heard that an updated version of the XP disk might help? Do you have any other suggestions as to what the problem is and how it can be solved?

Basically I just want to boot windows back up with the current hard drive.

Thanks.

Edited by dave.woody, 13 September 2008 - 11:48 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'd start with running HD diagnostic tool: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try this first:

Try to repair the problem by using Recovery Console. For this you will need xp installation CD.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the CD drive and reboot the computer. Windows Setup screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the CD drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation, type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a password. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type chkdsk /r (please note the space in the command). Let the process run to the end. It can be quite lengthy, depending on the size of the disk and the amount of damage.

dave.woody

dave.woody

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I would do that but after I press 'R' the screen just freezes with "Widnows XP Home Edition Setup" at the top and "Examining 114471 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi.." along the bottom. Have you any idea why it's doing this and how I can get round it?

And I can't run the HD diagnostic tool because the OS won't even boot in safe mode.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would try to run check disk on another computer. Remove the disk and connect it as slave on another computer. Reboot. If a message is given that one of the disks must be checked, let it run. If not, click My Computer > right click the icon of the broken disk > properties > tools > error checking > check now > check the two boxes > Start. Reboot the computer to enable the process.

dave.woody

dave.woody

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
What do you mean by connect the disk as slave?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
All hard drive diagnostic tools from the link, I provided, create bootable CD, so it doesn't matter, if you can boot to Windows, or not.

dave.woody

dave.woody

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

All hard drive diagnostic tools from the link, I provided, create bootable CD, so it doesn't matter, if you can boot to Windows, or not.

Ah right, I get it :)

Thankyou, I'll try that.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Make sure you use the correct diagnostics for the drive you have in the computer.