Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP instability

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To replace an operating system you have to perform clean install, unless the new disk is an upgrade version.

If your XP Home Edition and XP pro disks have a product key and were never installed on any computer other then your Dell, your best option, in my opinion, is to carry on with the present installation. There is a high probability that a day will come that you will need to reinstall your operating system and then you will have the solution at hand. Please note:

1: XP, of any version, can be installed only on one computer.

2: OEM is cheaper then retail and is more limited in some options. Have a look here to learn more.

3: If both disks were never used then you can use one of them to install on another computer. Just don't mix the two. To avoid confusion I always write on the disk cover on which computer it was installed. Also, contrary to what is written on the cover I always keep the product key sticker attached to the cover (not to the computer). The reason is that I have seen more then one computer on which the sticker became unreadable.

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I have product keys for both XP Pro and XP Home Edition
Now the key for XP Pro was refused when we tried to use it

XP Home Edition - not sure if PC will accept it or not.

I would suppose that these two OS versions have not been used on other PCs however, that tech that Dell sent was so disorganized and seemingly unknowledgeable about issues that I am now completely at sea as to what he really installed on my PC.

I just know that after his installation, the System Info read XP Pro everywhere whereas before it was reading Media Center. Now if he installed XP Home Edition or reinstalled XP Media Center without telling me - I just do not know.

I know I have had problems with messages for some time saying the XP Pro disc is the wrong disc when such was requested for some issue.

All I can say is that everywhere on my PC where it says this is XP Pro OS, I have never seen XP Home Edition mentioned.

Yes, I feel it is better to let well enough alone as is, for now, but where can I get a disc now for the XP media center edition if I ever need same? I keep running into situations where the disc is asked for and now will be unable to provide same.

Will keep plugging away at Dell until I can get some answers without going through India techs or having to pay for simple info.

Tried to learn more about OEM but the web page is not being displayed right now so will try later.

Far as I know neither disc of the OSs I have are upgrades. And I take it by a clean install you mean I have to format my hard drive and start over?

If so I have a scan disc that I backed up my whole system - it took a good evening, a whole night and some of the next morning so I take it if I choose to format that I have ALL my files intact? I have never backed up my system before.

Oh the joys of a computer! :))

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Went on Dell site online and was able to bring up my original order for my PC. They had a listing of the original components but did not see anything about an OS that was on my system when new. It may be in the long long long listing and I do not recognize it. Also typed out current status of components as of today.

And you got it - it has Win XP Pro as the OS for my PC today. What this means in light of what had been going on have no idea.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I can't believe I am back to where I started from! STILL getting message that my system is unstable and to put in Win XP Pro SP2 disc to put files back on that have been removed and replaced by unrecognized files! So put in the Pro Disc and it again says this is NOT the disc for this PC!

Am so disgusted with the techs here! Can you tell ME how to find out what my OS is myself by going into my PC or some program on my PC that will tell me or any program that will tell me what my OS is.

If all programs read my system info files - they ALL say XP Pro - is there another way to go to discover my OS? Even Dell's program of examining my PC claims XP Pro is my OS!

If all else fails, they have a Geeks to Go service here and though very expensive may have to resort to them because I know I will go around in a circle again with my PC going down to a blue screen.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Am so disgusted with the techs here!

You're not talking about this site, are you??

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Oh NO good heavens - I mean where I live!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My opinion is that you should clean format your computer and end this mess. You have two disks: XP pro for which you have no product key and therefore is useless. There are programs that can extract the product key of the OS installed on your computer but the policy of this forum is to avoid such matters. You do have the XP home edition with the product key. Since, as I understand, it was not installed on another computer you shouldn't have problems there.

If you wish to go in this line and need some help backing up your data, please let us know.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Yes have decided likewise re formatting hard drive. Also I DO have a COA for XP Pro. It came with the Dell PC when I asked for this version of windows. And I have used it all along until just recently when PC began refusing the code I would put in. This is the big mystery. These two discs of I have with COAs have been with me since I bought the Dell - the Media Edition I just retired when the Dell tech put in XP-Pro and gave me the disc I have.

Thank you so much for all your patience and persistence in trying to help me. I am not capable of formatting a hard drive so will call a tech to do so when and if I can settle on one:( As I said they have a Geeks To Go service here and may just consult them.

Again thank you for your help and finally you can close this thread unless you want me to report that formatting is done and I am up and running on XP Pro, and what the tech tells me re this situation.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know. Good luck.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thank you. Will let you know if you like after the fallout here settles just what happened if we ever find out.

Advertisements