Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAID 0 problem

• Please log in to reply

Danstar10

Danstar10

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi guys,

Im having some major probs here. after all sorts of crap i won't get into i finally decided i needed a fresh install of windows XP home - so i have inserted my 'recovery' CD on startup and tried a fresh install.

I have 2x 200GB Western Digital HDDs which were set up in RAID (i think its RAID 0 where they act as 1x 400gb HDD).

I selected to install windows and it showed two HDDs with one partition of approx 400GB - great. so i tried the fresh install here. it reformatted NTFS - got to 50% after a while then shot up from 50% to 100% in a few secs. It then said it cannot install XP (cant remember the reason :) ) .

Sooo, I then deleted the partition and made a new one which is now around 200gb on on HDD. I am unsure how to get the partition back to around 400GB which is using both the HDDs in RAID. The 200GB partition gets to 100% NTFS format as expected, then 'installs' XP - then it restarts its self as expected but when it gets to the XP loading screen it always gives a BSOD saying 'UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME'.

On startup it says the RAID 'nvidia stripe' (i think) is healthy.

Basically my now dilema is i just want to get windows working in any way - it would be ideal for it to work with the HHDs as 400GB RAID again but if it comes to it i could settle for 2x 200GBs.

It is possible that the HDDs (or one of them) are 'damaged' (or not healthy) but previous Checkdisk scans showed no probs.

Is there any way to get XP booting again with these HDDs as they are? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Whenever installing Windows on a RAID set you have to press F5 when prompted at the beginning of the installation to install the RAID drivers. The only method supported is via a floppy disk. If the drivers get installed correctly then you will only see a single drive for the installation.

Danstar10

Danstar10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Here is the latest: I manages to get the RAID drivers from the motherboard CD to a floppy and when this was inserted when F6 was pushed (in windows install startup) i loaded 2 drivers and then it finally did see the RAID array as one 400GB HDD.

So i installed windows onto it - it copied the files accross and then it restarted and went into the setup where you name your computer and define time zones etc (i had not got to this point previously) - this completed as expected and then it restarted itself (without warning which i am unsure if it is meant to?)

Now when it boots up it gets to the XP loading screen and freezes with a BSOD saying in short:

disable any anti-virus disk defrag or backup utilities. Check HDD configuration and check for driver updates; run CHKDSK /F for hardware corruption. Techincal info: STOP (xxxxx...)

interestingly CHKDSK /F doesnt seem to exist or XP home doesnt use it?